Travel insurance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All
If someone well versed in travel insurance could help out, I would be happy to hear what they have to say.

June 23rd trip to Tahiti cancelled due to Covid
Son has broken his leg and needs care
Cost of flights is around $4000
Do you think we would be covered to recover the cost of the flights from our insurance?

upload_2020-6-6_8-50-32.png

I would expect the airline to refund in full on the canceled flights, at least in the US. I hope so there.

So where is your son and how does he fit in this?

I’m also confused. Which airline? If they are cancelling the flights. Refund should likely be coming anyway... business class at that price perhaps?

Air Tahiti
Their policy is no refunds for Covid 19 (ticket class depending)
Flights cancelled due to Pandemic, not sure any sane travel insurance policy would cover pandemic. Mine certainly does not.
Definitely not business class, French Polynesia is expensive to say the least.

Who is cancelling due to Covid-19? You or the airline? Since your son has a broken leg, wouldn't that be the reason, independent of Covid-19?

The airline cancelled in April.
If the trip was still going we would cancel due to the broken leg.

You need to speak to your insurer. Insurance is so hit and miss, here in the U.K. most will cover COVID-19 losses providing you can prove you’ve attempted to recover from individual suppliers (if booked direct). If a travel agent then it’s the travel agent who must cover your losses (it’s built into our legislation).

Are you saying that the Air Tahiti cancelled and said that they're keeping the money since the reason was Covid-19? I can't see how they can justly that given that you paid for a service that they're not providing. Seems like you could make an argument to the credit card company for services not rendered.

Almost, they have refused the right to refund and offered a voucher that must be used before September 2020 and travel completed by June 30 2021.
They are yet to answer my question of what happens if Australia’s international border is still closed in June 2021. The dates offered also do not align with when we want to travel.

Back
Top Bottom