Travel (flight) with a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu_in_fl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
newly land-locked in Cinci-freaking-natti
# of dives
question for drysuit divers out there :

when you have to fly with your drysuit - how do you take care of it...i.e. do you check it in, and if so, do you take any precautions to protect the zip etc. ? do you have it zipped up or open ?
- any bad experiences from flying with it (and what could have prevented that experience)

and being a high value item, do you insure it for loss/damage ?

thanks

I insured mine, and I checked it.

I zipped it before packing it because I've heard that the zipper is strongest when it's zipped up.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert here but I didn't have any problems.

Edit>>
Maybe one issue. The bag with my dry suit and just one other thing in it. But it was overweight. Maybe you should weigh your bag before you leave.

I've only traveled with mine about 20 times. Just rolled up (zipper open) and tossed into a checked bag. Used undergarments for a bit of padding. Has always been just fine.

Zipper closed, placed in the middle of the luggage, no insurance.

All the best, James

I just shove it in the bag with the rest of my dive gear along with undersuit. zip open.

Its covered as i never go anywhere without travel insurance (that's just lunacy)

I wear mine on the plane... :)

I wear mine on the plane... :)

By this you obviously mean full diving gear? :D
Would save the fuss if the cabin loses pressure - you wouldn't have to rely on the airline providing oxygen, have your own.

And if the plan was to crash into the ocean, you could simply start exploring the latest artificial reef. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom