Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDiddy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you that have a separate set of travel fins - did you go with full foot or open heel? I'm heading back to Belize in April and am thinking about some lighter weight travel fins vs bringing my heavier open heel fins and boots. In a place like Belize where the dive boats are smaller (at least with the op I use), full foot was fine before. It was easy to hand them up to the boat and the ladders were small and clean. I wouldn't want to be without my fins though if there was any current or I wasn't in a position to hand them off to someone before going up a ladder.

Scubapro go or go Sport, both open heel, the go is more compact because of the smaller foot pocket made for barefoot or sock use, great for boat dives. I use the go Sport for shore diving even cold water drysuit diving.

My Force Fins Pro are my best choice now while travelling : compact (fit easily in the suitcase), not heavy, besides I usually prefer to have booties with a thick sole, not all diving sites are accessed by boat, and I don't ever want to climb rocks with bare feet./

^ I agree!

After witnessing a barefooted dive buddy slip and take a serious fall on a boat dock, I've given up on full-foot fins.
For me, open-heel fins over sturdy boots with good rubber tread soles are the way to go.

Open heel doesn't need to mean heavier.
I did a week last year on a T&C liveaboard with my medium-weight Henderson 5mm boots, and Aeris Accell fins.
That combo packed small and light, and performed well in average dive conditions.

That said, in the past I've also traveled with full-foot fins.
The only place they failed me was Bonaire.
Ouch!

K.

Aeris Accell
Pretty good fins, I prefer the SP GO Sport for me, I have two pair of oceanic (same as aeris) accell if anyone is interested, XL size I believe.

I owned the Accel*, unbelievably light, very comfortable, Mares bungee straps snap straight on. I found them lacking in any sort of current, I sold them. FTR mine were XS, as with most fins I assume the larger sizes have a larger blade and as such might be better.

I used full foot fins for years but I always ended up with chaffed feet from them. I moved to open foot Mares fins and booties. Much more comfy, and my feet are warmer to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom