Travel drying rack???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

libra89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm sure hoping someone here can point me in a viable direction.

I like to camp when I dive locally. I'm often not affiliated with the groups that reserve the pavilions, where it's easy to find a place to string up your gear to dry. I also notice a lot of people in my position will hang their gear to dry on the frame of those portable collapsible canopies.

I've thought about buying one of those canopies, but the good ones are pricey and I don't want yet another large piece of gear in an already crowded car. Does anyone know of essentially a clothes rack or drying rack that can be collapsed down into something small enough to pack with camp gear, yet expands tall enough and sturdy enough to hang a wetsuit to dry?

All the typical laundry racks at Target and similar retailers are so flimsy that I have zero confidence that they would hold up to the weight of a soaking wet suit of any thickness more an a mil or two, and I would have to hang the suit essentially folded in half. Ideally I'd want to be able to also hang rash guards and wet towels as well, so it has to be kind of rugged. Thought I'd found a good thing in a collapsible clothing rack for traveling salespeople or tradshows, but they still result in a base size that is sometimes 4 ft long and a couple ft wide.

Maybe I'm seeking the nonexistant, but if anyone has found something, or has a creative solution I'm all ears. Tired of having a smelly soggy suit and towels in the AM because I'm makeshift draping them over whatever I can find (car mirrors, chairs, etc).

I did find this, which is the kind of design that I think might be good:

Collapsible Indoor Tripod Clothes Dryer | Drying Racks

but it's plastic and pretty inexpensive (not a bad thing, except for in this case maybe you get what you pay for?), so not sure if it would be strong enough. I suppose at <$30 there isn't much risk in giving it a try.

Thanks in advance for any other options the Scubaboard crew might have!!

I've seen some very creative use of PVC pipe and fittings at dive sites. You could design and build the perfect rack for you :)

Henrik

True, I have seen a lot of posts about the same thing. I also don't have a huge car; it does well for what I am already cramming in it, but I'm not sure I have the energy for a DIY solution that might not be so graceful about setup/teardown/packup. :idk:

My idea of DIY at this point might be to buy the $30 plastic tripod rack and use a bungee to a tree or maybe my car's doorframe with the window cracked open to keep it from toppling over ;-)

I'll keep googling, and if anyone has experience with something that worked well for them.....

I'm sure hoping someone here can point me in a viable direction.

I like to camp when I dive locally. I'm often not affiliated with the groups that reserve the pavilions, where it's easy to find a place to string up your gear to dry. I also notice a lot of people in my position will hang their gear to dry on the frame of those portable collapsible canopies.

I've thought about buying one of those canopies, but the good ones are pricey and I don't want yet another large piece of gear in an already crowded car. Does anyone know of essentially a clothes rack or drying rack that can be collapsed down into something small enough to pack with camp gear, yet expands tall enough and sturdy enough to hang a wetsuit to dry?

All the typical laundry racks at Target and similar retailers are so flimsy that I have zero confidence that they would hold up to the weight of a soaking wet suit of any thickness more an a mil or two, and I would have to hang the suit essentially folded in half. Ideally I'd want to be able to also hang rash guards and wet towels as well, so it has to be kind of rugged. Thought I'd found a good thing in a collapsible clothing rack for traveling salespeople or tradshows, but they still result in a base size that is sometimes 4 ft long and a couple ft wide.

Maybe I'm seeking the nonexistant, but if anyone has found something, or has a creative solution I'm all ears. Tired of having a smelly soggy suit and towels in the AM because I'm makeshift draping them over whatever I can find (car mirrors, chairs, etc).

I did find this, which is the kind of design that I think might be good:

Collapsible Indoor Tripod Clothes Dryer | Drying Racks

but it's plastic and pretty inexpensive (not a bad thing, except for in this case maybe you get what you pay for?), so not sure if it would be strong enough. I suppose at <$30 there isn't much risk in giving it a try.

Thanks in advance for any other options the Scubaboard crew might have!!

Navigating the web looking for nice gadgets I've found this, perhaps could help you :

Check out viableco.com. It is a new company with an awesome knockdown drying rack that you can also store spearguns or boards or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom