Travel Double Bands - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IzzyTahil

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to hear from anyone who uses "travel" double bands and if they would recommend (or not) the ones they use? I know I can sling a bottle but would like to try diving "independent" back tanks in locales where the dont have manifolded doubles. I know the debate about independents vs manifold, so no need to get into that again here :)

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

I use Aqua Explorer's "Ultimate Velcro Double Bands". Crappy name but good bands overall and the price is not too bad at around $120-$150. They can also be adapted to a backplate or to a hard pack BC.

The cam band arrangement is low profile and well designed and allows each tank to be changed out separately which makes for fast and easy tank switches on the boat. This is a lot easier than lifting the entire tank out of the bands to change one.

They are made from 316 Stainless steel and I have not had any corrosion problems. My one gripe is that they use ordinary plastic cam buckles which can be a problem in really cold weather, particularly with new bands that contract more as they dry. If you are doing ice diving, I'd replace them with metal cam buckles. The sliders on the bands are also plastic and I'd replace them with metal ones as well.

They are in my opinon a little stronger than the Dive Rite Independent Doubles system which is a little skimpy on metal for my taste. They are also more secure and stable than the OMS system where the center piece really does not cradle much of the tanks.

I have a pair of the Aquaexplorer travel bands that I would be more than happy to sell you. I do have 2 sets of the bands. I have not used them for that long.

If you would like to email we can further this conversation.
rene_canyon162@hotmail.com

......well, I'm planning to use a hybrid travel bands set up , it's a combination of a Dive Rite kit with a Quick Draw Twins kit ( I decided to use the Dive Rite cam bands/stainless buckles and the stainless steel tank brackets from the Quick Draw Twins kit).

I just put it together tonight and will leaving for a week of diving in Bonaire July 19th.......so Bonaire will be the acid-test.........I've dove 'real' manifolded doubles, so I'm somewhat familiar with what to expect from a trim/balance/weight perspective, although it will be my 1st experience with 'independent' doubles.

(I'm planning to use twin AL63's, due to all the shore diving/surf entries, to keep the 'land' weight to a minimum.)

My set-up looks good so far, tanks are very secure, and pretty easy to change out, so I expect things to work out fine.......I'll have to let you know when I return.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom