Travel DIR Scuba Canister LED Light 15 WT, 1000+ lumen DIR , LIIO, tight beam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
$250 shipped in US.
\
For sale Custom LED light. We build these for Nor Cal waters for a club. These are extra run to raise some $.

We made this lights for travel in DIR style after we broke few very expensive HID lights in baggage.

This light is super small and weights mere 2 lb with 5Ah battery with 3hr run time.
This is VERY focused light (on the left, compared to 18wt HID on the right) hot spot is TIGHT (but you know LED will never be HID, the opposite is also true)

IF YOU DONT LIKE HOW IT WORKS, We'll take IT BACK you pay for shipping back.

Complete DIR set up for a fraction of a cost.
Based on Cree XL T6 LED manufacturer rated at 1600 lumen (right :) ), it is more like 1000 .

Canister is PVC with standard latches and oring tested to 275ft
Battery is LIIO 5Amp, you can run the battery for 3hr, but we normally surface to eat after about 2 hours :), if you want extra battery it is only $20.

Head is mounted on soft goodman handle, if you want optional hard goodman handle it is extra $20

The LED lens on picture is clear, but it can be made mate from outside and once in a water it becomes clear., mate is good for surface communication where mate surface lights up, where ever
clean lens just passes light through and on sunny day it dont make you any good, if you want boat to see you. If you want it mate just let me know. or do it yourself with piece of sand paper, then it be super throw on a surface.

If you drop your gear, run over it with truck or small children, this one is for you. Very dependable.

Smart charger, goodman handle and DIR rigging are included., what you see is what you get.

Free shipping to continental USA only.

P.S. Since it is custom made gear, we will not have any warranty but we will rebuild this lights for flat $100 flat in case you manage to flood it. So make sure there nothing under that oring..
Batteries are standard 18650 cells, so you should not have problem getting hold of those.

IMG_2334.jpgIMG_2338.jpg

$250 shipped anywhere in US

Last edited:
bump? 200 anyone?

I want this so bad. But the director of finance is telling me no. :(

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 09:35 PM ----------

I'm curious, how many amps are you driving the XML T6 at? Should I take the 15WT title to mean 3.5A at 4.2V?

Last edited:
I ended up ordering one. Here's hoping it rocks!
Be sure to share your thought on this when you get a chance to use it in the water.

It arrives tomorrow but I can't dive until Wednesday at the earliest. Possibly this weekend.

My initial comment is he took awhile to ship the light. (Purchased on the 2nd and shipped on the 8th.)

However, I believe this is because he wanted to do a final checkout dive with the light and all of his other QA burn in / battery cycle tests. I'm not going to fault him for this... just realize it's not like grabbing some NIB item, throwing it in a box and shipping it out the same day.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

Ok, I got the light in.

Wait for it.....

I like it.

I've only seen it for a few minutes but here are my initial impressions:

The PVC tube is about the size and weight of (sans switch and cord) a 15.5oz can of bushes kidney beans. The latches are Dive Rite. The charger shown in the picture has been modified to have a 2 wire connection coming out of it. It's only held in place by some electrical tape. Maybe a hole drilled through the case with a cable strap would have been a little better. I'm sure it'll be fine though.

The umbilical cord is 40" from can to head including the end protectors. The battery cells appear to be 4x 18650. It's wrapped in a lot of electrical tape so I'm not sure what brand or amp hours. I'm guessing 4S as the charger only puts out 4.2v not 8.4v.

The hard goodman handle is a very simple design with no adjustments. It's maybe a little big for my hands but would be fine with gloves on. The soft handle is a velcro strap that I haven't tried yet. The light is attached to the handle using some kind of shock cord that almost looks like thin shoe laces but stretchy.

So, about the light. My subjective test ( wife ) thought it was a bit better then the DRIS 1000. I have to agree. The overall shape of the hot spot and spill was pretty much just like the DRIS 1000 with the hot spot being a little more defined. I doubt I'll see a difference in the water but the point is, this is very similar to the DRIS 1000. This probably has to do with the fact they are both XM-L T6 emitters and similar size and shaped reflectors and lenses.

I can post pictures if you'd like but basically it looks just as advertised except the connector sticking out of the charger.

I haven't dove it yet, but at this point I'd say Andrew made a decent light. Thanks, Sir!

Last edited:
photo.jpgphoto(2).jpg

I'm not sure why the photos are upside down. They aren't in Paintbrush and they aren't when I upload them to Facebook.

I meant to say 4P not 4S in the message above but I don't seem to be able to edit it now. Perhaps there is a way of wiring the battery pack to charge off of 4.2v but in fact be 2S2P and deliver 8.4v. I suppose I could find out by testing the output voltage and current using a VOM. I would if I only had a clue where it went... :)

I put my thin reef gloves on and the goodman handle feels fine. Hopefully I'll get to dive it tonight.

I dove the light today. I had a little bit of a problem on the first dive. The light wasn't as strong as it seemed it should be and it would flicker now and then to the brighter power. If I put my finger on the light switch and pushed gently it would be full power. This wasn't observed on land.

So during the SI I took the light apart and found that one of the screw terminals had worked itself loose a little. I tightened it down with a screw driver and the second dive rocked! This light was clearly more powerful then my DRIS 1000 with fresh alkaline batteries in it.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Nice job, Andrew!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom