"Travel" BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tech Express gets good feedback here.

I use a BP&W, which fits all your requirements. As they are a modular design, you can pick and choose what functionality you require, without any bulky/heavy surplus. Add and adjust D-rings where you need them. Add integrated weights. Add a pocket/s. Choose a lightweight backplate. Go for a minimalist (hog) harness. .... you'll have a rig that will take up no space and can be further customized should your requirements change in the future.

The Zeagle Express Tech does seem to get a lot of good reviews here. A few questions:

1) For someone used to a standard jacket type BC, is there any weirdness to switching to this type of kit?

2) I see that there is a "Deluxe" kit for $40 more. Is it worth the upgrade?

3) There is a Zip Touch weight system for $69 and a Rip Cord system for $89. Is the Rip Cord worth the extra $20?

4) 30lb "Donut" bladder vs 35lb "Stiletto". Any thoughts? I'm assuming the 44lb Ranger bladder that's the only one available right now (and is no extra charge) may be excessive for my needs and add some weight/size to the kit.

5) Other useful accessories:
- Crotch strap (1" or 2"?)
- Pad kit ($46 - how useful is this)?
- Tech Utility Pocket ($38 - are there other pockets that work with this?)
- Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Dave

The items I was looking at in my previous post were from Zeagle Express website.

Looks like Leisurepro has a deluxe kit for $395 with 24lb bladder, Zip Touch weight system and includes the pads. That would probably just leave an accessory pocket and the crotch strap as add-ons assuming I'm not missing anything else. I'm assuming the 24lb bladder would be sufficient for a rec diver like me.

Sounds like the Express Tech is winning, but I would throw in another vote for the Zuma especially the new model with the DRings. It is a very nice BC and I finally gave up my BPW to use it exclusively.

My travel BC is an aluminum BP/harness with a DSS Tropical Travel Wing...whole thing weighs a few pounds and can be separated for easy packing...I only need 3 D rings...I have 2 Xs Scuba pockets on the tank bands for weight...It's very comfortable...cheaper than a traditional BCD...:D

My travel BC is an aluminum BP/harness with a DSS Tropical Travel Wing...whole thing weighs a few pounds and can be separated for easy packing...I only need 3 D rings...I have 2 Xs Scuba pockets on the tank bands for weight...It's very comfortable...cheaper than a traditional BCD...:D

Doesn't a DSS wing, plate, bands and straps put a diver in the $300 plus category (in many cases over $400)? If so it really isn't any cheaper than most travel BCs and certainly isn't cheaper when a diver factors in time for assembly and fit.

Doesn't a DSS wing, plate, bands and straps put a diver in the $300 plus category (in many cases over $400)? If so it really isn't any cheaper than most travel BCs and certainly isn't cheaper when a diver factors in time for assembly and fit.

Yes, quite right...but if you reread my post, I didn't say anything about a DSS plate, bands, and straps...I got the Tropical Travel Wing used on ebay for 125.00,...the aluminum plate (which DSS does not make, by the way), is a Dive Rite which I got for 59.00 brand new, a hog harness 25.00 with hardware and 2" crotchstrap, 17.00 . Now granted, you have to look around a bit for the wing, but everything else is available at those prices from the dive gear express website. The tank bands were 19.00 bucks apiece and the weight pockets 6.95 from Xsscuba...so the total cost was $278.00, comparable to a major manufacturer's mid level or travel bcd. Assembly and fit doesn't cost anything but a little time, and it's a good exercise to do it yourself because you really know the system after you go through the adjustment process. Any future adjustments will go much more quickly:D

1) For someone used to a standard jacket type BC, is there any weirdness to switching to this type of kit?
Not a bit. It's a back inflate BC with an incredibly light and flexible plate.
2) I see that there is a "Deluxe" kit for $40 more. Is it worth the upgrade?
Not for me.
3) There is a Zip Touch weight system for $69 and a Rip Cord system for $89. Is the Rip Cord worth the extra $20?
Not for me.
4) 30lb "Donut" bladder vs 35lb "Stiletto". Any thoughts? I'm assuming the 44lb Ranger bladder that's the only one available right now (and is no extra charge) may be excessive for my needs and add some weight/size to the kit.
The 30 is fine for most of my diving.
5) Other useful accessories:
- Crotch strap (1" or 2"?)
2" and it is awesome.
- Pad kit ($46 - how useful is this)?
Not useful to me.
- Tech Utility Pocket ($38 - are there other pockets that work with this?)
Why muck up the simplicity?
- Anything else I'm missing?
I would add some D-rings, but that's about it.

You may find it a little different switching from a jacket to a back inflate but that is going to be true of and back inflate. Just don't inflate it to the max at the surface and you will be fine.
Keep the ET simple and light if you intend to travel with it. Add a few Drings and maybe a simple pocket and leave it at that. There is no need for pads or intergrated weights or a large bladder, the 24lb is overkill for warm water diving much less the 30 or 44, get the smallest bladder available. I dive mine with an 18 lb if I must and none at all most of the time. For weights you have several options, weight belts work fine for WW diving, you should not need much weight or simple DIY intergrated weight systems can be added to the ET for a couple of dollars. At most, just add simple weight pockets to the tank cam bands and dive. Keep it simple and light, no need for all the extra stuff.

I like the minimalist approach, only added 2" croch strap and a few stainless steel D rings and replaced the plastic buckle with a stainless steel one. Did not care for the deluxe or weight pockets.
The longer I use the ET the more I like it.

Back
Top Bottom