Travel bcd wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im in need of a bcd for my son. Were close enough in size for it to be a travel bcd for myself. He will not be diving a lot but enough to be worth buying him gear. I would like something very compact and light as a spare when its done. My bags are always at the limit.

I do not have access to shops with wings and for the next couple of years that will be the case however three years or so that will change. I would already have a wing style unit if I did have that kind of access. But to date none of my diving has allowed me time to deal with the tinkering required to outfit a wing. I fly out jump out of the plane into the water and my trips are always to hectic from start to finish.

I have 6 weeks till our next dive to get something put together or we rent gear for him and move on. I do have access to a pool to rig it up close enough that he will be set up for the trip if I can get the parts needed fast enough. But only on thursdays so the clock is ticking.

I currently dive a Scubapro Nighthawk have since the start. Ive rented other gear and missed it. I don’t need to be sold or unsold on a traditional bcd I’ve read countless posts here don’t need the whys or why nots or my thing is better than your thing. If I can outfit a wing fast enough and it’s going to save me some weight and size I’m in.

Things I want in it. Comfort I already have shoulder pains don’t need other pains or bruises. Wide padded shoulder straps Back weight pockets, integral front weights, can that happen in a wing? I have never liked a weight belt but I started diving in cold water heavy weights are required might be different in warm water? I like air 2 less crap in my carry on as I usually carry all our or regulators as my carry on and I hate dealing with my back up regulator coming loose when diving. I Want a number of d rings and would prefer not to deal with a crotch strap and buckle I have a bad shoulder and leg one more thing to deal with when gearing up I’m not broken, once I get in the water I’m fine I just have movement issues when gearing up. Ive dealt with it long enough and I’m fast enough gearing up to learn how to get that strap on but it would be nice not to have it but I’m gonna get older and my shoulder will get worse.

None of my buddies that dive a lot use a wing and they dive several times a week. Which is odd to me they spear fish and lobster dive with all this gear I’d think a more tech style bcd would be something they want. Me I want simple easy to put on small and light. If I have to wear a weight belt I’ll get a pouch style unit and use bagged weight. Cost isn’t a huge factor most of the BCD’s Im looking at are $700 or more but I need to be able to get it rigged up via the Internet and in a month durability for sure some dives were dragging our gear on the boat no boats to big or small I’ll dive out of it.

So if a wing is the way to go over a ready to go travel bcd who do I call or email to buy everything I need in a wing in one shot what brands and accessories do I need to fit my needs and if I should buy a normal travel bcd what’s the best bang for the buck. There are a number of dive shops in Seattle I’d be willing to drive there if there are any shops in that area that could outfit me on the spot. Its a four hydride though.

Let me understand you correctly... you want a travel BP/W without a crotch strap? That’s an integral part of the package.

I didn’t realize this until later after multiple long walk beach dives and my shoulders were killing me but really there should be almost no weight on your shoulders with a full rig. It should all be on your waist the shoulder straps are more to keep the rig from falling back. Since I re-adjusted my rig it’s so much easier to carry my rig for those Long Beach walks or even standing on the boat waiting to jump off. Oh the crotch strap is a great feature keeps the rig secure and I like to attach my safety sausage on my butt D-ring

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Check out this package from Dive Gear Express they are a great company friendly and fast delivery times and you can buy the whole package from one place. They have a steel back plate nice if you don’t want to carry any weights on your belt and also an aluminum backplate that is very light good for travel if you are tight on weight. The wing is a nice small size 25lb.

I may not like a wing if they all have a crotch strap, can they be buckled one handed. Its a motion that isn’t right for me in that position. Its funny I can do almost everything with that arm but some simple twist and positions and it’s sharp pain. Maybe there are Velcro straps? I even run chain saws and split wood.

I will need to try gearing up with one first. While I do have fair motion in that shoulder there are angles and limits to its motion. Once I’ve tweaked it it hurts for an hour or more and then it hurts worse maneuvering with a weighted bc on it. I do not see it getting better it’s not getting much worse though I’m controlling it with a lot of excercises swimming is good for it to my docs thinking living with it is better than having surgery.

The crotch strap has a loop that goes over waist belt then you buckle waist belt. Crotch strap itself has no buckle.

I second looking at the Dive Rite Travel Pac. It is a simple BC with no extra stuff, most of the hardware is stainless steel, it has 2 cam bands, the crotch strap is fastened with a clip. You can add both integrated and back weight pockets.
TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite
Pockets | Dive Rite

Let me pose this question about weight belts crotch straps and wings in general. I think i can manage a crotch strap if I had integrated weights. My point here is dealing with a weight belt is something I cannot do after donning my BC. The crotch strap and belt together will be an issue for me. So I think my main focus when thinking about a wing would be is there a wing that can have integrated weights. If not im not going to do well with a wing and will need to stick witha. BC that has integrated weights.

You can add weight and trim pockets to all BP/harness combos.

There are many weight pockets that just slip onto the waist belt and they go back against the plate.

You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be.

I’ve never dived a weight belt EVER. I’ve dived a BP/W since I got certified 2 years ago. In fact, I got certified in one.

The wing is separate from the the BP/harness. The wing bolts to the BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom