Trash from Japan's tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From: Researchers: Hawaii may get hit with trash from Japan's tsunami - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The Hawaiian islands may get a new and unwelcome addition in coming months -- a giant new island of debris floating in from Japan.
Researchers in Hawaii have created a simulation showing exactly how the houses, tires, chemicals and trees washed to sea by the March 11 tsunami will float across the Pacific and eventually hit the U.S. coast.

Looks like it will join up with the rest of the Great Pacific Garbage patch. The beaches of North Western Hawaiian islands are already covered in plastic. Can't they figure out a way to clean all this debris up? Can't they just figure out a way to send a super tanker out there and just fill it up with all the crap floating out there?

Looks like it will join up with the rest of the Great Pacific Garbage patch. The beaches of North Western Hawaiian islands are already covered in plastic. Can't they figure out a way to clean all this debris up? Can't they just figure out a way to send a super tanker out there and just fill it up with all the crap floating out there?
It would have to be a *big* tanker, but they should at least try, right?
ocean_trash.gif

haha yes it would have to be many super tankers. Apparently the current garbage patch is the size of Texas, I wonder how much bigger this will make it. They should at least try to do something, hopefully someone is working on it

Can't they figure out a way to clean all this debris up? Can't they just figure out a way to send a super tanker out there and just fill it up with all the crap floating out there?

Where would "they" get the money to finance this? Who are the "they," .......and where are they located?

Where would "they" get the money to finance this? Who are the "they," .......and where are they located?

who: Environmental groups, proactive citizens, government run agencies
Finance: Private donations, funding from a coalition of countries
Where: IDK...wherever

I am not actually talking about a specific group, because as far as I know, there isn't one that is actually working on tackling this problem. Therefore I simply referred to the non-existent entity as "They."

"They" don't have any money, so a little money from "You" will be required.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom