Transpack or IQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willardj

Contributor
Reaction score
Could uses some help to choose between dive-rite transpack or the oms iq. How well do they handle doubles and the ease of switching from single to doubles. Thanks for your time.

Willardj

willardj:
Could uses some help to choose between dive-rite transpack or the oms iq. How well do they handle doubles and the ease of switching from single to doubles. Thanks for your time.

Willardj

I can't speak for the IQ, but I have the transpac and love it. Switching to doubles is super easy. A little time consuming switching to singles. Typically I am doing one or the other for the weekend/trip so it isn't to big of a problem. It is soooooo much more comfortable than a traditional harness. I used to get numbness in my hands when diving with a BP/w set up, no more since I got my Transpac! I can't say enough good things about mine. I went with the classic wings. They are a bit to big for diving with a single tank. So I am thinking about getting another bladder for those dives.

polly

None of the padded tech packs are easy to switch from singles to doubles, especially if you have a backplate shoved in there. I would not want to do this in rough seas. If you are going to be doing a lot of switching, a plain backplate is far easier.
My wife uses an Abyss padded pack with a 5-pound steel backplate wedged inside. Because she only dives singles, I used stainless steel locknuts to fasten it all together.
As a side note, on my backplate, I switched from wingnuts to delrin star nuts from Tobin at:
www.deepseasupply.com.
These are much easier to use, inexpensive, and worth every penny.
Now on choice, people who use the IQ pack love them; the TransPac people are pretty loyal as well. I got my Abyss packs for $34 each so you can imagine how much I love them.
My wife hated my backplate and harness, but she loves her Abyss pack. The sternum straps on these soft packs are adjustable for mammary-enhanced humans.
Polly - the Classic wing is way to big for a single. If you don't want to buy a new wing right away, get a large polypropylene cutting board and cut it to fit between the tank and the wing. This will keep it from wrapping around your tank too much.

Thanks Tom and Polly. Tom, I don't believe that the transpack has a backplate in it. I could be wrong, But thank you for your info. Question about that abyss pack what is it? I'd never heard of it who's it made by? And that idea about the cutting board between the backplate and the wing was very neet. I'm leaning more toward the transpack with rec-wing. And polly thank you for your info to. I've talk to a couple more people around here and they keep telling me that the transpack is the way to go. Thanks again.. Willardj
Tom Winters:
None of the padded tech packs are easy to switch from singles to doubles, especially if you have a backplate shoved in there. I would not want to do this in rough seas. If you are going to be doing a lot of switching, a plain backplate is far easier.
My wife uses an Abyss padded pack with a 5-pound steel backplate wedged inside. Because she only dives singles, I used stainless steel locknuts to fasten it all together.
As a side note, on my backplate, I switched from wingnuts to delrin star nuts from Tobin at:
www.deepseasupply.com.
These are much easier to use, inexpensive, and worth every penny.
Now on choice, people who use the IQ pack love them; the TransPac people are pretty loyal as well. I got my Abyss packs for $34 each so you can imagine how much I love them.
My wife hated my backplate and harness, but she loves her Abyss pack. The sternum straps on these soft packs are adjustable for mammary-enhanced humans.
Polly - the Classic wing is way to big for a single. If you don't want to buy a new wing right away, get a large polypropylene cutting board and cut it to fit between the tank and the wing. This will keep it from wrapping around your tank too much.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom