TransPac v TransPlate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micheal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all,

I am looking to retire my Zeagle Express Tech, for something that will support me better as an Hopeful new instructor and eventual progression into Tech.

I currently dive my Express Tec without any of the pads. My tanks are Steel 100's and LP85. Occasional I will dive on a LP108 or HP120. I am also Leg Heavy and use trim weights on the top band.

I am trying to understand the difference and benefits of the TransPac v TransPlate?

Also, for most recreational diving and instructing what would be the best choice for bladder? I am guessing the Voyager, or do people buy multiple bladders?

TransPac is a soft back, Trans Plate is a similar harness system that goes on to a steel or aluminum backplate. Metal backplate is more rigid. My first DiveRite setup was a TransPlate, steel backplate and Voyager wing, and lots of friends bought the same after seeing my setup. You will not be disappointed with DiveRite

For instructing you probably want more lift than the Travel wing. If you progress in to tech and dive doubles, you will need a wider wing, like the DiveRite Rec wing. No single wing will do it all. I now have multiple backplates, multiple wings, and dive whatever depending on the situation. I find it really difficult to dive something other than a backplate any more, it's just so much better

Go with the Rec wing and the transplate for double steel tanks.

I have both. The Transpac is my goto rig with a 36# venture wing. My Transplate is on a al. backplate and Hog 23# wing. With steel 120 tanks, the Transpac is a little "roll-y" but not bad enough to worry about. Really not much difference between the two, just whether you like the solid backplate or not.

I think you will be happy with either one. In theory, the Transpac is easier to travel with, but that's not an issue with our travel gear bag.

Good luck!!
Jay

I have both. The Transpac is my goto rig with a 36# venture wing. My Transplate is on a al. backplate and Hog 23# wing. With steel 120 tanks, the Transpac is a little "roll-y" but not bad enough to worry about. Really not much difference between the two, just whether you like the solid backplate or not.

I think you will be happy with either one. In theory, the Transpac is easier to travel with, but that's not an issue with our travel gear bag.

Good luck!!
Jay
Thanks for the info Jay. My buddy has his doubles setup with LP108's, and wants me to use the same. I am better then Transpac would be a little "roll-y" :) on those too.

Thanks for the info.

Get this instead and buy a doubles wing when you need it. You don't need all the excess stuff that comes on the Dive Rite harness.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

I was trying to compare that package to the TransPac (not sure if I'll go to doubles or not but I'm slipping down the tech/scientific route and would like to be prepared). Can the rig support doubles? I didn't see a doubles wing that matched the DGX singles harness.

I was trying to compare that package to the TransPac (not sure if I'll go to doubles or not but I'm slipping down the tech/scientific route and would like to be prepared). Can the rig support doubles? I didn't see a doubles wing that matched the DGX singles harness.

Absolutely. Plates were originally designed for doubles. Using them with singles was an afterthought. In the case of the DGX plate, all you would have to do is swap the wing to an appropriately sized doubles wing, and attach your doubles through the holes.

Back
Top Bottom