Transpac II for tek diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

45thParallel

Reaction score
I purchased a Transpac II w/ a Rec Wing...I've been quite happy for the the type of diving I'v been doing...which is single tank dives to 120 ft (max.) or so....but this summer I've really taken an interest in tek diving, and this spring I'm going to be taking the IANTD enriched and advanced enriched afterwards...and then hopefully before the summer is over, a course for deco diving.

My question for you peeps out there...is the transpac a good setup to run dbls (with a bigger wing of course) or to use single's w/ a stage bottle for deco stops.?? Most of the peeps in my area are using the OMS IQ or OMS plate and harness setups.

Another question is there anywheres on the web, or does anyone have any pictures of their bc setups?

-45th

the transpac 2 is likely better than any of the other BCs out there but for doubles you might be happier with a backplate and wings.
joens

45thParallel once bubbled...
I purchased a Transpac II w/ a Rec Wing...I've been quite happy for the the type of diving I'v been doing...which is single tank dives to 120 ft (max.) or so....but this summer I've really taken an interest in tek diving, and this spring I'm going to be taking the IANTD enriched and advanced enriched afterwards...and then hopefully before the summer is over, a course for deco diving.

My question for you peeps out there...is the transpac a good setup to run dbls (with a bigger wing of course) or to use single's w/ a stage bottle for deco stops.?? Most of the peeps in my area are using the OMS IQ or OMS plate and harness setups.

Another question is there anywheres on the web, or does anyone have any pictures of their bc setups?

-45th

It seems to me that diverite makes a BP that you can use with the transpac II wing, essentially converting it into a standard rig. I suspect you don't want to lose your investment but the Transpac II will probably be too unstable (wobbly) with doubles unless you put a backplate in it.

R..

I know the transpac will do doubles, but the few I've seen don't have the hip d-rings needed for stage/deco bottles.

Does the transpac II have them?

Hallmac

Hallmac once bubbled...
I know the transpac will do doubles, but the few I've seen don't have the hip d-rings needed for stage/deco bottles.

Does the transpac II have them?

Hallmac

The Transpac II has several options regarding configuration. I use one with the "sport" cumberbund which is very similar a regular velcro cumberbund on a jacket style BC.

In addition, it has 2" webbing with a quick release buckle like a bp or weight belt setup. I have hip D-rings on this webbing and it works fine.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

I suspect you don't want to lose your investment but the Transpac II will probably be too unstable (wobbly) with doubles unless you put a backplate in it.

I dive my TPII with Rec wings using doubles. Once everything is properly adjusted, there is a slight bit of wobble to it, but I don't find it unmanageable.

45thParallel once bubbled...

I have run my TPII with Rec wings using single AL80's AL100's, LP112, and LP120's. I have also run it with dual AL80's and a 40cft deco bottle and with dual LP98's and dual LP112's.

The LP112's are my favorite due to size/weight consideration and I have no problems using them in either a single or double configuration with my TPII. I have never tried dual LP112's with a stage bottle, but I suspect that would be pushing the limits of this wing.

The rec wing can float my gear at the surface at about 2/3 inflation. It can float me on my back comfortably at about 3/4 inflation with the dual LP112's.

The downside to the TPII is that I found it took a lot of fiddling to get all the buckles and adjustments exactly where I wanted them. A BP set up would be simpler. Additionally, the TPII has a lot of buckles which are considered failure points by some vs. a single one piece webbing of a BP.

When the need to replace my TPII arrives, I will likely switch to using a BP as I feel it will be simpler and a little less bulky. However my TPII has served me great for a number of dives and I have no regrets buying it.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

The Transpac II has several options regarding configuration. I use one with the "sport" cumberbund which is very similar a regular velcro cumberbund on a jacket style BC.

In addition, it has 2" webbing with a quick release buckle like a bp or weight belt setup. I have hip D-rings on this webbing and it works fine.

I dive my TPII with Rec wings using doubles. Once everything is properly adjusted, there is a slight bit of wobble to it, but I don't find it unmanageable.

I have run my TPII with Rec wings using single AL80's AL100's, LP112, and LP120's. I have also run it with dual AL80's and a 40cft deco bottle and with dual LP98's and dual LP112's.

The LP112's are my favorite due to size/weight consideration and I have no problems using them in either a single or double configuration with my TPII. I have never tried dual LP112's with a stage bottle, but I suspect that would be pushing the limits of this wing.

The rec wing can float my gear at the surface at about 2/3 inflation. It can float me on my back comfortably at about 3/4 inflation with the dual LP112's.

The downside to the TPII is that I found it took a lot of fiddling to get all the buckles and adjustments exactly where I wanted them. A BP set up would be simpler. Additionally, the TPII has a lot of buckles which are considered failure points by some vs. a single one piece webbing of a BP.

When the need to replace my TPII arrives, I will likely switch to using a BP as I feel it will be simpler and a little less bulky. However my TPII has served me great for a number of dives and I have no regrets buying it.

Ditto on that!

Don't throw it away I still use mine mainly when I travel but most of us progress towards backplate and harness!! Backplate and Harness is a little more clean for multible stages:)

I've got about 500 dives on the transpac 2 she looks rough but sure is solid still!

Good luck

Len

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom