Transitioning to tech-I'm going for it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've decided to go ahead and start my tech training. Hubby and I jsut returned from a trip to Hawaii where I got to try doubles for the first time. I've diving a DIR configuration for 3 years and my skills are to a point where everyone is assuming that I've taken and passed fundies :D. So I tried doubles and much to my surprise-it was easy. My trim was perfect from the second I dropped in the water. Much to my husband's surprise who was prepared to teach me a new skill.
So in order to try to catch up to him (GUE Tech I certified) somewhat so that we can do some deco dives together-I've decided to go the IANTD route. I'm choosing to opt out of the GUE training.

I'm starting with the first 3 classes: Rec Trimix, Deep Diver (not on a air and nothing like PADI's deep diver course), Adv Rec Trimix. This will get me to the point where I will be able to dive Trimix and do short deco dives.

I'm excited but I don't have a lot of time to get into better shape between now and June. I have no problem coming up the boat ladder with doubles or moving around on the surface. But I absolutely cannot pick them up and place them on the bench. Being short doesn't help. So any advice on strengthening is welcome. I have a treadmill and little dumb bells at home.

Support and advice is welcome--actually I'm begging for it :D.

I can pick mine up and put them in my car now -- I could barely do that when I started with them. But I still can't put them on the benches at the caves, and I can't get them into Peter's car (it's too high) or our truck. I don't have too much shame at asking for assistance with that kind of stuff, as long as I can get me and the gear into and out of the water.

Just out of curiosity -- what made you decide not to go with GUE, if your husband is trained by them and you intend to dive with him?

Best of luck to you. You're lucky, my transition to doubles was not so smooth. It took me a little over a year to get used to & comfortable with my doubles. A little trick I've learned with lifting doubles, I can lift my 108's up almost to my waist (barely). Since I have no S/O or anyone to help me most of the time, I have to figure things like that on my own. If I have to go higher & I have some place I can get them up to about bench or seat level, I'll lift them up to that level, put the back plate & harness on, slide into it & "back pack" it to the higher level. Seems to work for me, perhaps not everyone. If I don't have any such thing to help me get them up, then I have to ask for assistance.

I don't know which doubles are you using and what car do you have. In the US I used 95s, as these were my weight limit (in Europe tanks are lighter).

I cannot pick them up, but what I did was putting them on in the car. I always attach the backplate while the doubles are in the trunk, put them up while sitting on the back of my car and then simply walking with them to the bench.

And if this was impossible there are always firends who were willing to help me. As Lynn wrote - there is nothing wrong with asking for help in this matter
:D

As an IANTD child I think there is not a big difference between these two (IANTD and GUE). At least not major differences that make diving GUE certified and IANTD certified together impossible.

Yes, I agree -- the best way to move doubles is on a backplate, if you can't use a hand truck. And avoiding them ever getting to ground level is great, if you can do it. I love the Florida cave shops that have fill whips that go all the way to the car!

I can pick mine up and put them in my car now -- I could barely do that when I started with them. But I still can't put them on the benches at the caves, and I can't get them into Peter's car (it's too high) or our truck. I don't have too much shame at asking for assistance with that kind of stuff, as long as I can get me and the gear into and out of the water.

Just out of curiosity -- what made you decide not to go with GUE, if your husband is trained by them and you intend to dive with him?

I've been informally trained through my husband and fellow divers who are GUE instructors. People assume that I'm certified through GUE. My instructor for the IANTD is teaching his classes using the GUE protocols and theory. The GUE route will take me too long and I disagree with their style of expecting you to be perfect when you take a class. Plus I can't swim fast enough to pass their assorted swim tests.

I can definitely walk around with them no problem. On the ground I figure I can always put them on and then stand up. My problem is getting them above shin level and onto a bench :) So I am focusing my strength training on building my arms, shoulder and back.

I'm thinking more when I do boat dives where everyone is moving their own gear around. I don't mind asking for help but I don't want to have to rely on the kindness of the men around me :)

I'm pea-green with envy that diving with doubles came so naturally to you - my first few dives with my HP100s were nothing short of comical!

You're not alone when it comes to the hassles of hefting doubles. My solution is to carry them on my back as much as I can. I dress the tanks in the car's trunk and lift them to a standing position by pushing on the bottom of the tanks while pulling at the top (if that makes any sense). Then I wiggle into them and walk to the water. (I have not yet tried gearing up on a bucking, rearing boat in bad conditions, nor am I looking forward to!). I try not to let the tanks go below shin level, as picking them up off the floor is hard, even though my quadriceps are pretty strong. It's easier picking them up off a higher surface (like a car's trunk) - I find I can 'bear hug' them and lug them around, if need be. Don't be afraid to ask for help, though. Do invest in a handtruck - I'm sure it will make life much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom