transfer whip????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbediving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have 2 questions.....
1. is it cheaper to buy or make a transfer whip?
2. if it is cheaper to make, what will i need, expected cost, best place for parts?

thanks.
jason

edit: this is just to transfer from one tank to another for air or nitrox.

I made my own because I had a couple filler yokes for spare airs. Another $25 got me a couple feet of HP hose and appropriate connectors at the local hydraulic shop. The yokes are probably the most expensive component. You could also have a hose made that connects 2 HP ports fairly cheaply but you will need to use a couple regs and the xfer will be fairly slow.

It my opinion it is about equal between buying premade and making one yourself. I have have made them and bought them and I much prefer buying premade. It is simpler, and you wind up with no extra parts and spend no more than you need. You can also get them custom made by some dealers to your specifications. They only charge you for the parts, not to put them together.

I sell a simple whip with either digital or analog gauges on my site. www.hidawayscuba.com
Global is the company that will allows you to customize whips but they are pretty expensive.

Brent

hunter991:
It my opinion it is about equal between buying premade and making one yourself. I have have made them and bought them and I much prefer buying premade. It is simpler, and you wind up with no extra parts and spend no more than you need. You can also get them custom made by some dealers to your specifications. They only charge you for the parts, not to put them together.

I sell a simple whip with either digital or analog gauges on my site. www.hidawayscuba.com
Global is the company that will allows you to customize whips but they are pretty expensive.

Brent

I must be missing it on your site. Unless you are suggesting $250.00 for a xfer hose!

idratherbediving:
i have 2 questions.....
1. is it cheaper to buy or make a transfer whip?
2. if it is cheaper to make, what will i need, expected cost, best place for parts?

thanks.
jason

edit: this is just to transfer from one tank to another for air or nitrox.
Leisure pro has a sale on right now. Great price.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...rt_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6=701/AQUTTED.html

If you want a really nice one, I would just pick up the one from Salvo.

No, I am not just selling a transfer whip. I guess I misunderstood your need. I sell the Salvo line of gas blending whips. They come set up to blend gas from helium and oxygen supply bottles. I thought that was what you were looking for. Are you just looking for a whip to connect two scuba bottles together to equalize the contents, a "transfill whip"

The one that the other member suggested from leisure pro is a great price although I would be a little worried about the Push Bleed system. I think it will cause you some problems. I tried to go cheap and use a push bleed system on my compressor and had nothing but trouble. After a little use the push button bleed stops holding pressure. I had to rebuild it about every time I used it. It got annoying so I wound up buying a good setup. If you could find this system but with a screw release bleed I think you would be happier. To just hook two scuba tanks together though this is more what you are looking for. The ones I sell have a quick disconnect to hook them to large "T" cylinders of helium and oxygen.

Brent

hunter991:
I would be a little worried about the Push Bleed system. I think it will cause you some problems. I tried to go cheap and use a push bleed system on my compressor and had nothing but trouble. After a little use the push button bleed stops holding pressure. I had to rebuild it about every time I used it.
Just a quick note on that. If you are having problems with a push bleed, I would suspect your filter system is letting too much dust out. Typically, filter pads in refillables will release filtered dust if accidentally installed backwards and release some of the filter media dust down the hose. Usually that isn't a problem for breathing but it really eats up soft sealing surfaces ... like the push button bleeder. I shifted to the disposable filter cartridges and have not had a problem with push button feeder since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom