Question Transfer PADI open water cert to SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattfish

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy folks! I'm still new to SCUBA, and I'm getting ready to continue my learning and gain experience. I started out getting certified with PADI, and now I'm looking at continuing my education with SDI. I was wondering, do I just start things with the Advanced Adventure over on SDI, or do I need to transfer my Open Water cert over to SDI before I can get started?

Your PADI OW card satisfies the prerequisites for the SDA Adv Adventurer. No need to trasnfer anything, and you can't do that anyway.

Howdy folks! I'm still new to SCUBA, and I'm getting ready to continue my learning and gain experience. I started out getting certified with PADI, and now I'm looking at continuing my education with SDI. I was wondering, do I just start things with the Advanced Adventure over on SDI, or do I need to transfer my Open Water cert over to SDI before I can get started?
You will find the answer near the bottom left of the page:

You can train with any agency you wish. After getting OW certification with PADI, I've trained through GUE, TDI/SDI, SSI, and NAUI.

The most important card is the credit card.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I can just keep going and don't have to move a completed cert to another agency.

Just a thought to consider. With some instructors your basic OW card doesn't tell us anything other than you survived your checkout dives.
We may still require a pool evaluation to see if your skills are up to snuff for con-ed.
I have had to take a number of people back into the pool and then do an OW dive or two before I let them take further training. Otherwise they would have been frustrated and not made it through the subsequent class.
Most common issue? Buoyancy and trim not up to my standards.

I would love it if my instructor asked me to do a pool dive before we started continuing education. Not because I doubt my current abilities (such as they are for a 12-dive newbie), but because it'll give them a chance to see where I'm at and hopefully tweak the coverage to focus on my weakest points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom