Training Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PWCPD Diver

Reaction score
Just packed up for a day of training with Va State Police Air Support and Manassas City PD's Dive team. We are jumping out of the State's Helo today into a lake! I'll post up pictures when we are done!

Cool.

Before you jump, make sure the real big blades are on top of you blowing the air down.

If they’re small and on the bottom, blowing air and liquid up slow down on the Margaritas. YOU’RE DRUNK AND LOOKING INTO THE BLENDER! Get someone to drive you home. :D

Have fun. It’s been around 20-years sense we did that last.

Gary D.

Sounds like fun to me, I whink we need some of that kind of training!

Training was awesome. We went up on the Helo (Standing on the skids, clipped in with a strap and a D-ring) to about 500 feet then we came in over Lake Manassas and hovered at 20 feet. The lookout signaled and both divers jumped off. Then the Helo comes back over and does an extraction using a "Horse collar". The second jump involved an extraction with a "collapsable chair/ basket". We did this in about 30ft of water.

The only equipment we went in with was Drysuits, PFDs, and harness. We didn't use fins and it was hard staying stable without them. The PFD and Drysuit combined floated very well. We probably could have jumped without the PFD and still floated. The possibility of the Drysuit seal blowing out at the neck and wrists is the only drawback.Everyone got to do at least two jumps. It was similar to rescue swimmer/extraction training.

Virginia State PD Helo guys are awesome at their job. They want to continue this type of training with our department at least yearly. I'll post up some pictures after the camera charges back up!

PWCPD Diver:
The only equipment we went in with was Drysuits, PFDs, and harness. We didn't use fins and it was hard staying stable without themQUOTE]
Try standing on skids with fins. It's a trick that's even hard to teach to a cat.

Glad you had a good time.

Gary D.

I wanted to try it with fins but I was afraid I'd drop it off when I hit the water or worse on the 18th green of the Robert Trent Jones golf course!

I was thinking you were gonna go tank and all.... then I read you went from twenty feet.. and thought.... ouch, then I read you want with just dry suits and thought.. wimps :D OK OK I'm just jealous!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom