Training sites in southern NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, for just a little background on my situation. My father got me interested in diving recently. We are all going to Aruba in November. He wanted my sister and I to follow him through certification so we don't have to sit through the 45 min classes in Aruba. We completed our OWC a couple months back. I personally have been on 8 dives, including one boat dive since certifying. Were not 100% confidant with all aspect of our training.

My father and sister have been having some issues during the OW dives and on our most recent dives in Rockport. We surface swam out to about the 60ft mark (which killed me in my split fins). Before we made it out though, my father panicked and had to head back to shore with another diver. Thanks to my dad I now know about this amazing sport and am head over heels in love with diving. It also helps that everyone we've met in the diving community has been so amazing and helpful. He on the other hand isn't so sure now and I think its because he isn't ready/confidant to be doing these long/deeper dives.

So to reignite his passion I'd like to bring him some where quiet, safe and easy. Just him and I at a lake or pond in the area. I bought a dive flag and now I'm searching for a nice place to go. From the research I've gathered its between Willard Pond in Antrim, NH and Winnisquam Lake near Laconia. Does anyone know these areas or of somewhere better for what I am doing?

Thank you for any info you may have.

Dublin Pond in Dublin, NH. Several local shops use it for the OW class. Fairly easy entry and exit. It stays cold year round since its spring fed though (wear a 7mm) but I use it for any sort of training I need to do on my own. You can quickly get to 30ft though it goes down to 100 at its deepest. On your way home you can stop in Peterborough for something nice to eat.

Nubanusit Lake in Hancock, NH. You can enter near boat launch and park on the side of the road.

Just bring a flag. You can always tie it off and stay near it.

Easy entry, 30-50ft of depth.

Another vote for Nubanusit.

Also try Dublin Lake. There are several entry points used by divers at Dublin, but the easiest & most gentle entry is via the boat ramp on Lake Road (Entry Point D on the attached Map). It starts very shallow with a nice, easy decent here. Location B is often used for dive training & there are some sunken hoops that can be used for buoyancy & swim through skills. The entry is a bit more tricky with a slope down and a step over a couple of rocks. The water is clear if you keep off the silty bottom (another great buoyancy test :) ). You can achieve depth here (up to 100 ft) but it gets cold (thermocline) and murky long before you reach that depth.

Another worth trying is Clark's Point ( McKinney Park) on Lake Winnipesaukee. Another tricky entry, but once you are in, a gentle slope down until you hit a wall with a sheer drop, but you can swim quite a way without contemplating the wall.

For ocean diving we don't have much of a coastline but a short drive gets you to Fort Foster in Kittery Maine. This is an excellent site for practice. It is shallow and the water is clear.

Attachments

• Dublin_Lake_map.jpg
    Dublin_Lake_map.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Dublin_Lake_Map_Depths_120509.jpg
    Dublin_Lake_Map_Depths_120509.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 86
We went out today to Dublin NH. Site B on Dublin Lake. Had a 10/10 day. Did two dives and it was definitely the best experience my father has had. I dunno if it was fate or what but we saw a lot today. Taking into consideration that everthing looks bigger underwater we did see sa lot of smaller fish as well as some huge small mouth. They are not afraid to approach. We were able to almost touch them. It was funny to see them just staring at us wondering what the hell we were.

Thank you again for all the info you guys provided. It really brought my father back into scuba. Bought his BCD today. Thanks again.

I think I may have met y'all briefly while I was out there - if so Dublin actually gets better and hopefully you found somewhere to eat. It was unusually murky Sunday, even for a lake. It's normally a little bit clearer. Congrats on your dad - its always good to hear about people rediscovering a forgotten hobby. Hopefully y'all will be able to get more dives in before winter sets in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom