Training? Playing? Working? Confused as toi which it is.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well another day of getting to playing, oops, I meant dive training is in the history books.

Years ago we were glad to go out and do this for free but then they started paying us. I can’t believe they would actually pay us to have this much fun.

All surface work today with 4 agencies represented. Three of those agencies normally work together but we are working with merging in the 4th. It was a bit quiet at first but I think they felt welcome by the end of the day.

We got 3 more potential in-house candidates on board. They have to pass the physical portion this Tuesday and then they only have a couple of months to get their OW. Their OW is different than what normal off the street OW is. It’s a little more old school and we know the instructor who knows what we need and to get them off to a good start.

We started off with the old classroom. Knots, surface gear and techniques plus some new gear issued out.

We have always had 75’ throw ropes in our cars but now each of us has a 200’ 3/8” working rope and stuff bag. The guys that didn’t have retractable point Ice Awl’s now have them and we each got a new set of Shears and holder for our BC’s.

Then off to Hauser Lake and our normal training area to play, oops, train in surface Ice Rescue. One on one, Boogie board and Rescue Alive drills were all done with each person doing each stage at least once.
http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=11&X=311&Y=3306&W=1 We train to the right of the point on the north end. We lost a swimmer right at the point this past summer and we still have some diving to do on it later.

Just way too much fun to explain. For those that have never played on or with the ice you don’t know what you’re missing. Out of everything we do this is by far the most fun. If you ever get a chance to do it don’t pass it up.

Rather than break for lunch then come back out we stayed out and did the traditional Mexican Food thing before going home.

Our two training days for next month are getting penciled in and at least one working dive, recovering what might be a plethora of stolen property is getting lined up for sometime in the next couple of weeks.

For those that have ever wanted a chance to be a LEO and have a chance at the team we are hiring something like 13 in the near future. You might even be able to cash in on a 5K-signing bonus and after a year you could be a candidate for the team.

It’s not all fun and games but we get our share of both. :wink:

Gary D.

Sounds like alot of fun. Do you train your guys all the way up through Public Safety Diver or stop at Dive/Rescue? Also, with the throw bags in your cars, do you keep PFD's with the throw bags?

SheriffMedic:
Sounds like alot of fun. Do you train your guys all the way up through Public Safety Diver or stop at Dive/Rescue? Also, with the throw bags in your cars, do you keep PFD's with the throw bags?
Except for the FNG's we are all PSD's and all our gear is in our cars 24-7-365. Some minor changes get made between summer and winter seasons like adding a shorty for shallow summer dives. Otherwise we carry enough stuff to run an operation right out of our cars.

In my gallery you can see how our cars are set up inside and out.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom