Training ideas needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i like simple task loading skills for fun activities. things like have them race at assembling a few pieces of threaded pipe together while staying neutral. also swimming hulahoop obstacle courses as a race is fun with penalties for touching a hoop.
having them try different gear arrangments or types of gizmos is a GREAT way to make them more well rounded divers (sidemount, steel tanks, aluminum tanks, pony bottles, various bcd's, various thermal protection, use a mask that has no strap, deploying smbs with different air fill methods, etc..)

Snorkeling advice from the net!

When you went Snorkeling, Spearfishing or Scuba Diving in my neck of the woods
you were a Skindiver

It all seemed to be interchangeable perhaps contributed to by magazine titles
Skin Diving or Skin Diver magazine and some book titles certainly over here
I don't remember I never got it and the people I asked weren't convincing

Here in the states those were used interchangeably for sometime. Watching the old Sea Hunt programs it was either referred to as diving or skin diving. Once someone made up SCUBA (probably a navy diver or ex-navy diver, military types love acronyms) my understanding was that the terms evolved to have 2 different meanings. Why skin diving instead of snorkeling which is more descriptive of the activity I don't know. Maybe because skin diving sounds a little erotic? :wink:

This will be in a pool.
It should be noted that this training does not lead to further certifications for the teens, it is just weekly pool sessions for the members of the club I am a part of. The approach is to have structured pool sessions instead of a free for all
What are you currently doing on apnea based training days?

Buoyancy and trim would be my main focus if the goal is to make them better and more confident divers.
Task loading them while having to keep your buoyancy maintained as someone mentioned is very good, there have been some ideas on how to task load them in the thread already I believe.

Apnea literally translates as "without breathing". With regard to in-water work, apnea refers to breath-held swimming and diving (freediving/skindiving).

Sleep apnea is defined as a temporary cessation of breathing while asleep. The only relationship is the cessation of breathing aspect, but as is apparent, while swimming/diving the cessation is a willful/conscious act.

Among the aspects related to SCUBA is that apnea can increase one's confidence underwater which should relate to being able to handle stressful or abnormal events underwater without panicking....for instance, one apnea exercise is to take a breath and descend to the bottom of the pool and then flood and clear the mask and then ascend to the surface with control. The continuation is to repeat the exercise but flood and clear the mask multiple times before ascending with control. When one realizes that they can clear their mask multiple times (4-5+ times) on a single breath, they are less prone to panic and bolting to the surface when their mask dislodges and/or floods while on SCUBA when they have a relatively abundant source of air.

-Z
Thanks for the details. I had to undergo a sleep test for apnea prior to an operation to cure my snoring. This is why I was curious about what it had to do with scuba---as in, are we worried about stopping breathing uw without it being done on purpose? I had never heard the term being used for scuba, just "holding your breath".
The exercises described above would also be helpful in preparing for the DM "equipment exchange" drill--except of course you are exhaling bubbles to keep the airway open during the buddy breathing. Same idea though, as you are not inhaling any O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom