Train wreck at Porteau Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTBCAT

Reaction score
Has any one dove the train wreck at porteau cove how deep is it and where is it? I have heard that there is nothing left but the wheels, but I think it would be a nice dive. Some guys I know tried to find it last summer, they went down to 170 feet and could not find it but I think they were around the point.

RTBCAT:
Has any one dove the train wreck at porteau cove how deep is it and where is it? I have heard that there is nothing left but the wheels, but I think it would be a nice dive. Some guys I know tried to find it last summer, they went down to 170 feet and could not find it but I think they were around the point.

Never knew there was a train wreck there. I know that wooden boat is the deepest wreck at porteau at 90 feet.

From what I recall there aren't any train wheels in Porteau cove. At least none that I ever recognised for what they were..... There is a wooden boat that has collapsed since I dove it regularly. That one is at 90ft give or take and the last time I was there they had a buoy on it. There is also a sort of small barge and some smaller bits of debris..... It's been quite a while since I was there last but it seems to me that if you swim off the end of the barge going E or SE along a line in the general direction of the exit you'll run into some bits of metal. I suppose it could be part of the undercarriage of a train car but I was paying attention to the monster of the ling cod that was swimming around it and I didn't take a close look at what the thing was.

Someone who dives there more often (and more recently) could give you a better idea of what I mean and how to track to it.

In any event the train tracks are too far from the water at that point for a train to fall off into the cove. If there are really whole train cars in the water they'll be further afield.

R..

I do recall hearing rumors, and I think it was supposed to be around the point somewhere. I've never dove it personally though if it does exist.

It's a technical dive, very deep. I believe around 190fsw. I don't know much about it. I think some of the tech guys at the shop dove it once a few years back.

The wooden boat at 90ft is the Nakaya. The top of the bow is about 70ft & the bottom of the stern is about 105ft. Depending on the tide.

Those metal beams Diver0001 described is what we know as the "jungle gym." Not part of a train wreck, but home to some massive lingcod and a few plumose anenomes.

The's a barge, a Sailboat (The Centennial) & The Granthall also sunk out at Porteau. And a tire reef leading of the bow of the Granthall back towards the shore.

and the Nakaya is falling apart. It hasn't totally collapsed, but the wheelhouse did fall in last summer I think, and it is slowly falling apart. Still a great dive, but definitely not something to do any penetration dives on.

RTBCAT:

I have not dove the train wreck but will probably go looking for it one day. Here is some info I have on it quoted from a book I copied a few years back. It sounds like it is located about a half mile up the inlet from the wharf just around the point.

The book says that a couple of cars flew off the track and landed in 120-130ft of water about 100 yards north of the entry point.

Entry Point: If you gear up at the parking lot walk north for about 100 yards and follow a steep trail down to a big flat rock which is an easy entry point. To find the railway cars, snorkle 100 yards north from your entry point until you reach a tree which leans out over the water (note this tree is probably long gone) Descend directly under this tree. In 120 - 130ft of water you should find them.

Good luck and if you find them let us know.

I went looking for that train last summer. One of my dive partners has seen it but he dove it years ago and can't remember excatly where it is. He said that he happened to come across it while swimming from shallower wrecks toward the Nakaya.

He had droped deeper past Granthall and traverssed at past 100 feet towards the Nakaya.

I did the route backwards to lool for the train. I swam from the Nakaya towards the other wrecks at about 100 feet. When the terrain started to swing around in line with the shore. There was an obvious depression. I took a 90 degree right turn to follow it down. I encountered some bent pipes but couldn't see anything past that.

The train wreck was described to me by my buddy as pretty much gone. There is the obvious shape of the train car but it is completely collapsed on it self and is just a heap covered in silt.

Not much help but at least you know there is nothing in that area.

Henry

Thanks Henry I think the only thing that will be left is the steel wheels and axles the wood will be long gone. I wonder if you start at the Nakaya and swim towords the point if you will find it I have been told it is past the Nakaya. I shall have fun looking for it. Maybe see some big Lings. Has anyone done the wall at the other side of the camp ground?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom