TRAGEDY - New Computer in my future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my very first dive in the Flower Gardens a couple of weeks ago - 91 feet - I look at my trusty Data Plus - and it's dark with a small bubble in the screen [of air].

Ouch! - the good news - it had been starting to act flaky, so I had a second computer on - and continued the rest of the dives quite comfortably, Thank You, Ivan!

So - I visit my LDS last week and start the shopping.
My parameters: I "need" NitrOx - the old data plus was a console mount, and I'm not real interested in the transmitted air pressure capability.
The recomendation was either the Veo 200 - or a Versa Pro. Other than size - I don't see any difference between them - - - Do you folks know of any?

The other question I considering: Should I go console or wrist this time?? The console slot is Data Plus size - which will fit the Veo [with adaptors] or a depth guage. If I go with the Versa, it will probably be on my wrist and a depth guage inthe console. Thoughts??

Thanks -=>Larry<=-

Sorry to hear about your computer. I'm glad that Ivan had the foresight to suggest 2 computers.. Loosing a computer is bad, but at least you were still able to finish out all the dives...

Seems to me (not having used one) that the Veo200 would be the odds-on favorite. You've got a spot for it in the console (no change to your setup) and you can always go wrist mount in the future for ~$20. If you go with the Versa Pro, you basically get the same computer for around $50 more, but then you also have to spend a few bucks on a depth gauge (assuming you don't have one laying around). If the data plus was working for you, readability shouldn't be an issue with the Veo200 (readability is, realistically, about the only benefit I can see with the Versa Pro).

I can't help you with your choice of computer brand but why would you, or any other diver, want to have to look in two different places for dive data, as in your wrist and a console? If you are going to have a console isn't that the logical place to look for ALL your dive data?:shades:

Hi Larry:

I am so sorry for your loss. At times like this, I am unable to think about, dare I say it, replacing a loved one, I just try to cope the best I can with the tragedy that is...

The solution I most commonly spy is a computer on the wrist, which takes care of your depth, and a pressure gauge clipped off somewhere handy–where it can be beaten if bad. If you do not trust your computer, a bottom timer is always a welcome addition to any family, especially in a time of grief. Me, I like most everything on my wrist.

Larry, I hope that you are going to find your way through this and to move on. I think we all wish you nothing but the very best.

I look forward to diving with you, and your new friend, sometime soon.

;-0, with the best intentions.

Todd.

I think someone recently posted that Leisure Pro was selling off their inventory of Data Plus 2 computers at a low price.

It is very similar to the Data Plus, except that it has a time-of-day clock and the two buttons make it a lot easier change settings. Also, unlike the one button Data Plus, the Data Plus 2 logs the dive data at fine enough detail to be useful.

I track - 2 for the console, 1 for a wrist mount & 1 for an updated Data Plus.

Many Thanks for the Consolations - It's been an ugly empty feeling for the last 7 dives, looking at my console & finding nothing there :(
[The last dive was at Aquarena Springs and I'm not worried there!]

I also like the suggestion to wear a "pressure gauge clipped off somewhere handy–where it can be beaten if bad" - - That is surely my attitude towards those things and a proper engineering solution to the problem~!

Thanks -=>Larry<=-

Back
Top Bottom