TR from last week Oct. 24-31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Got back from trip number 6 to Bonaire last night. I thought I would pull my thoughts into a quick trip report.

Travel: MSP-ATL-BON on Delta RT. No issues at all.

Lodging: Plaza Resort in a Jr. Suite. Room was huge as was their property. The room was nice and had an old fashioned CRT TV. Other than to watch a little World Series action didn't use it much. Getting anywhere at Plaza takes some time as it is quite large. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They are dumping $6M into renovations which the common spaces badly need. I think it will take a year or two to see the fruit of their labor. It appears to me their ideal clientele is the Dutch which make sense as they are run by a Dutch company in a Dutch territory. Their food was okay to quite good. The AI breakfast and lunch got redundant but their dinners were usually tasty. Their BBQ night was very good as was the steel drum band they had.

Truck rental: Telerin met us at the airport and the rig was fine. Their little security system was a bit annoying but overall we were happy with the truck. I did have to add a little Nitrox to a tire at one point. I am not sure it was Nitrox certified but the tire seemed to handle it. The little adapters that you can connect to your reg are very handy.

Dive operation: Toucan diving is the onsite op at Plaza. They have turned their staff over quite a bit recently to improve their service and overall found them helpful and fun. This was a rare occasion when I got on a boat on Bonaire and for the most part was sorry I did. The boat we had most of the time was very slow and could really only reach Klein or other sites on the main island that were easy to shore dive. On one day we did get to use their "fast" boat and did La Dania's Leap and Rappel which were both WONDERFUL dives. I would get on a boat again if they were guaranteed to go there. Not so much if they are going to Bachelor's beach, the Lake, and Something Special. Nitrox fills were consistently good (3K+). My understanding is that air fills were a little shorter.

Diving: To my eye the reef looks the best I have seen it in the 6 years I have been going there. There are some small patches of bleaching but they seem unrelated to water temps. The lion fish are still there but there are lots of people hunting them and they are served across the island. Viz was great north and good south. We dove from Red Slave to La Dania's leap and saw nice coral, good fish populations and lots of turtles. We saw frog fish, sea horses, mating squid, octopus, eagle rays, schooling sardines, HUGE parrot fish, along with all of the usual suspects. On a surface interval on the boat by the Lake we had a pod of about 50 dolphin jumping around us! That was a first for me.

Heading back to Bonaire in Feb for trip number 7. We are staying at Buddy that trip as it is just my wife and I. Can't wait!

Thanks for the update, we are headed there for the first time on the 7th. Staying at Buddy Dive. what site did you see the schooling sardines/squid ?

We saw squid at several sites but the schooling sardines were at an unmarked site just south of Vista Blue. When we were there this past December there was a sign calling it the Garden. That is not there now. It is super easy to find though. It is the first turn off after Vista Blue. There is a small tree next to the water that has a small quasi beach. Park by that and enter there. The terrace is covered with soft corals with sleeping turtles. Most of the action is in less than 30' of water.

I thought I would add some pictures from my trip last week. Bonaire October 2015-2.jpgBonaire October 2015.jpgBonaire October 2015-2.jpgBonaire October 2015-2.jpgBonaire October 2015.jpgBonaire October 2015.jpg

Heading back to Bonaire in Feb for trip number 7. We are staying at Buddy that trip as it is just my wife and I.

Ah-hah! Compare and contrast is a thing of mine. Who all was on this trip, & what led you to choose Plaza this time, but Buddy's next time? Just curious, since how people discriminate options can be very useful info.

Richard.

P.S.: Nice macro of the anemone shrimp.

Thanks for the comment on the shrimp. It took a few exposures to get that one. In terms of why we were there vs. Buddy where we will be staying in Feb. it was a dive shop trip. We wanted to dive with friends and were willing to put up with the Plaza experience which was not entirely negative. The primary issues were the property's size and the poor wifi unless you were in the mosquito infested lobby. The ease of shore diving was not on par with any other waterfront resorts. The AI element made it easy for a large group.

We are staying at Buddy next time as it is just two of us and will likely meet some new friends. Also. their shore diving both on site and remote is very easy.

Back
Top Bottom