Towing dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is a bit of a shot in the dark as I can't find anything on the internet, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm currently sailing to far flung places and dive a fair amount, I have a ten ft rib and 15hp outboard which is good with four people in it but with full gear you could say it struggles. This is fine for a ten minute trip to the dive site, but I regularly go longer.

I'm thinking I need to reduce the displacement of the dinghy which will allow the engine to get her up on the plain. So, is there a sled out there (preferably inflatable as space is an issue) that people use to tow dive gear, and if so how effective is it?

We used a rescue sled once to tow some gear with a Zodiac and it went quite well but you have double and triple check that you tied everything down properly otherwise your gear will be flying out.

It was a tight fit but it worked well for the gear of 5 people.

It also severely limits your speed so unless the conditions are ideal you wont be going anywhere fast.

I would be adding more HP. Maybe not replace the 15HP but add a second one. Now you have a redundant engine for your far flung locations.

You need a bigger rib. Or less gear. Nothing else will be anything other then a mess waiting to happen.

This. I'm sorry to say, but unless it is on the extremely rare occasion, you need a larger tender or more HP.

If you're in a beautiful slack water bay, maybe slow n steady to take in the view is a good thing, but if you have to anchor a ways away from your dive site and want to get there quickly with 4 people plus gear, that 10 footer+15HP just isn't going to cut it.

I know it's not cheap, and you may be limited in size by your main vessel, but your options are likely limited to
A) Upgrade your inflatable/tender B)anchor closer
or(C) relax and take in the scenery....

You need a bigger boat or two boats or fewer people.
N

You could check if you can find a smaller pitch prop. Not getting up on plane probably means you're not able to get the motor into its good horsepower RPM range. The trade-off is top end, which you may find less important for coastal use. If you do go smaller pitch, pay attention you don't over-rev the motor on flat, no load days.

My take is that many small power boats are sold over-propped, as either cost or weight or hull rating argues against mounting a big enough motor, yet the prop pitch is biased towards lightly-loaded top end cause no one wants a slow boat.

I can't recall the last time I didn't prop down after buying a boat, or regretted doing so.

While a lower pitch will improve planing thrust, and is certainly an easy fix to try, 4 divers with gear sounds like a lot for a 15HP motor.

Your idea of a tow sled is intriguing, but finding something light enough with low drag, inflatable, and stable at moderate speeds might take some trial and error. How about a big flat pull toy like a Manta Ray? Not a flying version...

While a lower pitch will improve planing thrust, 4 divers with gear sounds like a lot for a 15HP motor.

Way back when, I had a soft-bottomed inflatable. It was 12.5' long with a 25 HP engine. Normally there were two of us diving, with a dog. On occasion though, I had 5 guys. and at least two of them were large. It floated and got us where we needed to go, but if the weather had taken a dump, we would have been bailing for our lives!

I also think there's something to the re-prop argument, but lipstick on a pig me thinks...

Thanks for all the responses. I was thinking of replacing the prop anyway as I banged up the exisitng one a few weeks ago, so will look into pitching.

Or I might just toss a couple of the crew overboard. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom