Tourist seriously injured on Zenobia shipwreck - Cyprus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A 60-year-old tourist was hospitalised in serious condition on Saturday after he attempted to dive down to the Zenobia shipwreck off the Larnaca coast.

The incident was reported by the Cyprus News Agency which said the man was diving with his wife, two friends and an instructor around 11am.

While he was at a depth of around 20 metres, the 60-year-old began to surface.

As soon as the instructor and the man’s friends became aware of the diver’s movements, they followed him and helped him out of the sea.

An ambulance from Larnaca general hospital was called and transported him to the accident and emergency department.

His condition is considered serious.

The shallowest part of that wreck is around 18m IIRC and the bottom 42m when I dived it several years ago.

The only access to the wreck, which is just outside the main harbour of Larnaca, is by boat.

I'm going to assume he had a medical issue and was quick enough to realise that he needed to get to the surface to resolve it.

Reportedly, she sunk on her maiden voyage due to a software error. MS Zenobia - Wikipedia

Will be interesting to see if there will be more information released about his condition and I hope he will be OK. Sounds like he realised he had an issue and surfaced. I dive there regularly with customers and was there for 2 dives on Thursday. Access only by boat and there are numerous ascent/descent lines along the hull. We descend by the mooring line to 18m (hull) check everything/everyone OK before proceeding on the dives into deeper water. Fortunately the Zen is not too far from shore so emergency assistance very quickly available to get a person to shore for medical assistance.

Attachments

• Under the funnel 23m.JPG
    Under the funnel 23m.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 87
A very bad practice, i. e. removing one's mouthpiece, in an air pocket inside a wreck!
Totally agree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom