Tough time clipping off SPG. Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
We were out last night and I found that I had a really hard time re-clipping my SPG. I usually just look down to check it, but it was a night dive and I wanted to bring it forward a bit. I found that with the thick gloves on (was was 49 degrees and I wear 5 mm gloves) I had a really tough time getting the clip on the D-ring.

I had no problems finding the D ring, but just could not get the clip on there for the first 4 or 5 tries. I eventually got it, but it felt like it took 5 minutes (realistically it probably took about one minute).

Any tips for doing this better would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bjorn

P.S.: I searched before posting this and just didn't find anything very specific beyond 'keep practicing' Then again, maybe that's the answer :)

jeckyll:
We were out last night and I found that I had a really hard time re-clipping my SPG. I usually just look down to check it, but it was a night dive and I wanted to bring it forward a bit. I found that with the thick gloves on (was was 49 degrees and I wear 5 mm gloves) I had a really tough time getting the clip on the D-ring.

I had no problems finding the D ring, but just could not get the clip on there for the first 4 or 5 tries. I eventually got it, but it felt like it took 5 minutes (realistically it probably took about one minute).

Any tips for doing this better would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bjorn

Get a Bigger Clip --- SBS-5s or SBS-4s will do it right, and instead of the o-ring tie it on with wreck-line... put it right under the gauge and above the bolt. then with the thicker gloves you can get a finger in the boltsnap opening and get some leverage. The small clips are fine for no-gloves but the larger are easier for heavy gloves.

I will try to get a pick of mine later when i go to the store between cooking -- if not then tomorrow

jds

Make a point of clipping and unclipping the guage at least 10 times in succession at the end of your dive - when you're just hanging at 20' or so. This will build the "muscle memory" required to make it second nature.

Funny thing is, you can also do this in a nice warm pool (we have one around here that offers Sunday diving). Althought it's better to practice in the actual gear (i.e. your cold water gloves), you can still build the necessary muscle memory with bare hands in warm water.

This is also useful for valve drills and such.

Cheers,

-S

Excuse the slight rant, but the term "muscle memory" is like fingernails on a chalk board as it is such an incredibly inaccurate description of what occurs. Your brain is able to keep track of where your various body parts are located (assuming your nervous system is functioning properly) and you can develop a hand-eye motor loop in the nervous system, but your muscles are not capable of 'remembering' anything.

It gets about the same reaction from me as a non-diver walking up to me on the dock and asking me how much oxygen my scuba tanks hold.

I agree with the bigger clip suggestion. I couldn't do this to save my soul with the original clip, switched to a larger, heavier one (and started clipping front to back instead of trying to hook up under the D-ring) and it became trivial.

Bob also showed me how to put the SPG hose between my middle and ring finger, so that I then had my thumb and index finger perfectly positioned to work the clip. That helped, too.

Thanks for the tips so far. Looks like I'm going diving Friday, Saturday and Sunday (2 dives each day) so hopefully I'll get some good practice :)

I'm not sure how large the clip is that I'm using now, perhaps when I get home I'll take a picture with a ruler and post it up.

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom