Touchy (but serious) Safety question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sailfish

Registered
Reaction score
My apologies in advance if this is a taboo topic or has been ridden into the ground.

With all the input I got on the new gear set up, it got me to thinking about factors that I cannot control. Therefore, I'll throw it out and see who responds. Got some really good advice from devjr which lead me to just make this a new topic.

In Charleston waters, Blacktips, Tigers and Bulls are fairly prevalent. In shore you get gators. I have always had a fascination/fear with both. I am sure that if I leave them alone they'll leave me alone. That being said, but considering a possible all be it extremely unclmmon "rogue" factor or one of the "guys with the teeth and the less than pleasant disposition" that has not read the aforementioned rule, is their any need to carry "protection" other than in the form of a blade? Is it safe? Is it legal? Is it "don't ask, don't tell?" If any of the above are "yes", what would you suggest. Not to hunt or to start trouble. Just as an equalizer or safety.

Thanks.

Simply because you leave them alone does NOT mean they
will leave you alone.

Also, you (or I) is no match for "bad attitude with a mouth full of teeth in his/her natural environment". Time is something the
animal has in abundant supply.

I'd suggest forgetting about carrying "extra" protection and
dive smart: get out of the water when danger swims near.

The use of a "powerhead" or "bang stick" is allowed for personal protection when diving.

If a Bull Shark shows up when I am spearfishing, I stop. If he wants the fish on my stringer, I give them to him. I hope I never even get close to using a powerhead (or my pony).

Keep in mind that your knife is a tool not a weapon.

Dont try to fight a gator or shark in there enviroment, you will lose.

By the way, i would think gators would be a bigger problem then sharks, i belive they are far more likly to attack.

That said :flame:

If a shark becomes aggressive, keep an eye on it as you swim underwater back to the boat. Present a confident image. Do not swim quickly, but instead remain calm and graceful. Do not swim with your hands, keep them to your sides or clasped in front of you. This is not the time to be flapping them around. If the shark gets too close, get back to back with your buddy. Growling will often cause the shark to leave. Take off your BC and hold your tank in front of you. If he comes in for a taste, let him bite metal. Exit the water quickly, dropping your BC if necessary. You can always fish it out with a boat hook.

Gators are rarely agressive unless they've been fed. When they get too close you can usually keep gators off by gently pushing them away with a broom stick.

DSSW,

WWW™

Gators are rarely agressive unless they've been fed. When they get too close you can usually keep gators off by gently pushing them away with a broom stick.

Or unless you get too near a nesting Mommy, (like I unknowingly did once in Charleston's Cooper River)!

are chicken... I guess thats why they taste that way. I have swum with many in the spring runs and have yet to be or feel threatened. While I do not recommend diving with big bull gators (11+ feet) I have had nothing but fun watching gators scurry from me. Other than fish, most of their prey swims on top of the water. Your profile with a tank makes you look far bigger than you are... almost sharklike in their eyes. I do not recall ever hearing about any divers being attacked in Florida waters. Now, I have heard different about the salt water crocs in south Florida... but then again, the teller of woe in this case should always be taken with a grain of salt. Make that the whole shaker!!!

As for sharks, the bulls make me nervous. They are way too volatile and opportunistic. All others I have seen have been cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom