Torpedo Ray, Ft Wetherill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
Diving Ft Wetherill June 19, 2016 I turned and saw a large semi-circle buried in the sand just below at about 55 fsw. As I looked at it, I saw it had a large paddle like tail. I immediately realized it must be a very large ray, at least 3-4 foot long and two foot wide. Of course I didn't get any footage of it, because it's never that easy. It swam off after politely sitting still waiting for my camera to power up.

Diving the same area last weekend (June 26th) I came across the same(?) ray in the same neighborhood. This time I was already running the camera. As I came up on the animal I waited for it to have enough of me and swim off. I debated the wisdom of antagonizing an animal that could give an electric shock while solo diving.

After video taping for a bit I continued on with the dive and returned to the same spot five minutes later. The ray was in the same place and still showing no signs of life. Suspecting he was in fact an ex-ray, I gave him a nudge with my camera and light. After three nudges, I was still unsure. He was buried in the sand in what looked like a purposeful way, but I was still skeptical. I decided it continued to not be in my interests to press my luck.

As you watch the video, you will see the ray blink with each gentle nudge.

An ex-ray!? Hope you had your lead shielding! Gota wonder wasup with that critter? Very rare one can poke a marine critter once without it swimming off never mind twice. Could it be sick. laying eggs waiting for the sub-way?

You have more balls then I my friend; no way I'm poking a critter like that solo are not. Good video especially considering the site and depth.

Friday looks like Green Bridge diving weather, 2 days in a row waves 1 foot or less, winds on Friday NE 5mph. Keep it mind if you find yourself off that day. I'm also making a Quahog dive either tues, wed, or thru. AM if you are interested,let me know and we can come up with which day is best.

Last edited:
Weird and a little creepy. I am always amazed that I can still bump into something or turn around to see something that gives a little "start" causing me to jump back just a little. Thanks for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom