Torches , cheap , expensive and the ugly .. ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy692

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi guys ..

Starting out , pretty new to diving, am looking for a reasonable touch

We intend to be diving in different visibilities, and will be doing a fair bit of underwater boat maintenance , need to be able to photo and video hulls , so i am looking for a torch/light which is going to last and be pretty universal , something that we can use for other dives too

I have seen cheap eBay specials which ...look like they won't last very long at all , have seen some very expensive canister lights which is a bit more than id like to spend ...

I have seen some by orcatorch which look good and at reasonable prices tho still on the expensive side ...

The canister light would look good with my back plate and wing tho ...

thoughts please ..

the dgx backups are a good value for the money. from there you would move up to kraken/tovatec but past that you might as well look at UWLD.

the cheap chinese multi emitter lights should be treated as disposable. you pay like 40 to 60 bucks for the bigger ones with multiple leds, but you might only get 2 or 3 years out of it as the anodization starts chipping off, some galvanic corrosion happens, the buttons start sticking, etc. remember to replace the orings if they are low duro and grease it constantly to at least delay the onset of issues.

We offer a few different rechargeable lights. If you are looking for a light for filming, presumably with a GoPro (or similar) you will be best served with a video light. A light for video has a wide angle and uniform illumination.

For "normal" diving in the day, where you might be looking into holes or under a ledge, then most people would prefer a tightly focused light which has better penetration.

The problem with trying to use a typical focused dive light for filming is that the focused light will form a hot spot. The relatively small area where the light hits will be washed out or over exposed and the remainder of the scene will be too dark. That is why a wide angle light is generally used.

If you are looking for a rugged and inexpensive light that will serve well for video, check this out. It can be used in the day or for night diving, but again, with a wide angle it is not best.

Generally if you are going to film with a light (say underneath a boat) you will want to have the camera and the light(s) mounted on some sort of rigid frame in order to enhance stability and to better ensure that the light is directed to where the camera is pointing, Check out our inexpensive rig as well.

thanks
Dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Underwater-Photo-and-Video-Light-p/mul.2.htm

MUL.2-2T.jpg

+1 on DGX lights.

OP is in the UK. Surely there are good lights he can get from within the UK or the EU.

Hi guys ..

Starting out , pretty new to diving, am looking for a reasonable touch

We intend to be diving in different visibilities, and will be doing a fair bit of underwater boat maintenance , need to be able to photo and video hulls , so i am looking for a torch/light which is going to last and be pretty universal , something that we can use for other dives too

I have seen cheap eBay specials which ...look like they won't last very long at all , have seen some very expensive canister lights which is a bit more than id like to spend ...

I have seen some by orcatorch which look good and at reasonable prices tho still on the expensive side ...

The canister light would look good with my back plate and wing tho ...

thoughts please ..
For light to serve you well in different visibilities and to function as a video light there are only a few choices as poor vis needs tight beam and video needs wide beam

Maybe Nanight Sport 2 or Nanight Tech 2 would suit your needs?
Dive Lights

You get 10 degree lens with it and if you remove it it'll be around 100 - 120 degrees, you can also buy a 35 degree lens if you need one.

Not the cheapest, but it would suit your needs quite well.
I have the Nanight C3 lamp head as primary and my GF has the Sport 2 for photography mostly (we've used the Sport 2 as primary as well, but have another light with similar lightbeam for that also)

OP is in the UK. Surely there are good lights he can get from within the UK or the EU.

can the UK still get stuff from the EU since Brexit? or did they cut them off like unwanted children?

can the UK still get stuff from the EU since Brexit? or did they cut them off like unwanted children?
I think that no one knows 100% what happens after brexit.
But at least until the new year they are an EU country

yeah can still get stuff from the rest of europe , I bought loads ... lol..

cant get some that were mentioned in the uk , but I think im liking the look of the orcatorch , I have seen a few , they do an entry level canister light which looks good , my daughter thinks the D550 would be a good choice ?

Any of you guys use a canister light , does the cable get in the way , is it one more thing to worry about , or is it not to big a problem ..

As for the photos and video , it dont need to be of super duper professional quality , its really just for surveying hulls , props , keels ...

Cheers guys . .

the tovatec's are nice because you can charge the battery right in the torch with a micro usb. unlike the sola's you can also change out the battery. i'm a big fan.

Back
Top Bottom