Torch Time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Getting back into diving after long absence. Starting from scratch and on a budget an need a basic light for diving.
Mostly warm water vacation diving Caribbean style.
Would like rechargeable with built in charger
Not sure # lumens I might want
Looking in crevices and maybe photo help once in a while.
Not afraid of used if anyone cleaning house.
Thoughts...

Also, decide if you want a wide or narrow beam. Wide is good with a GoPro. Narrow would be good for getting to the deeper crevices. A narrow beam will "create" a hot spot in your photos.

You don't want built in charger > weak spot for water entry.
You can get a fine 18650 light and a small charger for a reasonable price. You might find this thread worth spending some time on.
Review: DGX 600 vs Xtar D26 vs $22 eBay light

Be leery of lumens and battery claims from Chinese lights and batteries. They may inflate the hell out of them. They are likely exactly the same as you will find from the online dive stores, but the stores will be more honest with the light characteristics since they will have to deal with customer support.

I've loved every kraken light I've owned. I've had good luck with the Hollis led3s and 6s, but would definitely recommend either of the kraken handhelds depending on your budget. Can run aaas or an 18650 to get you that rechargeable

Thought on a Fenix SD11 w/18650 rechargeable?

I love the AL1200NP from Big Blue. Strong enough for daytime use in crevices as it is spot, but as mentioned, not ideal for photo or video - you want flood for that and much stronger. Excellent as a back up light on night dives. Reasonably priced, rechargeable and replaceable batteries, lightweight charger, on off button, multiple intensities. Long lasting battery on those intensities.

We have 3 DGX600's and an 800 from Dive Gear Express. After 3 years, still going strong....actually stronger than when we bought them. Don't know why but our last night dive the batteries on the 800 lasted a full hour instead of the usual 45-50 minutes. Can't say enough good about them. Still on the original batteries too.

Good luck.
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom