Topless in Micronesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simnia

Reaction score
Serious question: Are the ladies in Yap, Truk, and Pelau still topless? Old advertisements from the 1970s always showed topless ladies but recent books always show them attired to Western norms. I'm considering a trip to Palau/Belau next year for the first time and I'd prefer dive destinations that don't have run-of-the-mill Americanized cultures topside.

Yap is a caste based culture similar to India. The lower your caste (ie class) then the less you matter to everyone else.
As sad as this sounds it is true.
The low caste women still go topless. These are mostly people living in outlying areas, but also the women who clean the streets.
There are also two women who greet people arriving at the airport who are topless. This is more of a "Hey this is our traditional culture thing" rather than a caste thing. These women do not go around topless the rest of the time as they are more upper class.
THis may be a sad situation in some peoples eyes but that is the way it is.
Truk i do not know.
Palau, very Americanized. Except for that godawful electric organ based music at the local bars...
But definitely worth a visit, great diving. The cultural side of things is somewhat limited. You may want to hang out for a couple of days, get on a liveaboard for a week to get in the max diving and short boat rides, and then spend a couple of days on island at the end...

We've been to Truk, Palau, and Yap. Yap was the only place that some women were topless and some men still wore loincloths (red or blue, depending on what group they were affiliated with). Palau is up-scale and people are dressed like they would be in Hawaii or Guam. Truk is more off the beaten path, but the kids dress like the kids here in Los Angeles, Nikes, baggy pants, "wazzup, bro?". If you're looking for some remnants of past cultures, I'd say go to Yap.

[BTW, the topless women we saw in Yap were rather large.]

Thanks for your responses. Topside culture and photo opportunties are as important to me as underwater sights, which is why Micronesia interests me a lot more than many Caribbean islands that are closer to home and less expensive to travel to.

Jim, there are slim women in Yap. And underneath the caste system and the "authentic" cultural experience, they still read Cosmopolitan etc.
You want the best authentic experience without interference, learn to bbecome invisible and head to Nicobar. :wink:

scubashooter:
Jim, there are slim women in Yap. And underneath the caste system and the "authentic" cultural experience, they still read Cosmopolitan etc.
You want the best authentic experience without interference, learn to bbecome invisible and head to Nicobar. :wink:

Sorry, no offense intended to anyone, just stating the facts as we observed them.

And how is clothing Americanised? ... if anything it is Europeanised .......

You will find that the women are all clothed ... do a layover at Pattaya if you want boobies (tounge in cheek)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom