Top ligament or tendon on top of right foot hurts while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just finished my OW cert using properly fitted Mares Avanti Quattro plus fins with 5mm booties. They were fantastic but by the 4th dive only the top of my right foot near my shin was really starting to hurt. I think it might be the tendon that runs there. My left foot was perfectly fine with no pain. This was the first time using my new fins so maybe I was just getting used to them? Do new fins tend to "break in" after a few dives? Due to covid this has been my first time back in the water for about a year, and prior I was a avid free diver with no right foot cramping issues. Do you think this was just a case of over working my self and new not broken in fins? I am also use to snorkel finning and not proper scuba fin technique quite yet. Any suggestions on what I should do to avoid this in the future?

It feels like one of those ligaments in the front of the foot, I attached a diagram

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.13.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.13.21 PM.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 187
My first thought, and easiest to fix, is that your fin strap might be just a little bit tighter on that side. Try swapping fins and see if your other foot is affected the same way.

Other possibilities are that the fin or your boot has a thicker spot in it that causing pressure on your foot. If possible, try a different boot and fin to see if your problem persists.

If you have no success with the above, then pursue a medical reason.

What is your predominant kick type. If it's flutter, the new find may be a bit stiffer than your old ones. Try mixing your kick styles up a bitwhile you get used to the fins.

What did DAN say when you called them for medical advice?

I'd bet if you switched out to thinner boots - or even went bootless for one dive - you'd get relief. Both my husband and I have had that happen, and it always got better with thinner boots or even socks (mine hurts if I use thick neoprene socks, but not if I use the thin spandex socks). Good luck!

The ligaments you linked are located on the side of the ankle and the typical injury here are ankle sprains.

Your pain is probably one of two things. I think it is most likely a tender area from the fin as many have suggested. In this case the pain would be localized to the area where the fin contacts the front of the ankle and it would be sore to touch.

Another possibility is a tendon injury from an activity you are no longer accustomed too. Your kick might have been just different enough on the right to cause some discomfort. In this case you might notice the pain is not quite as localized, it isn’t very sore to touch and it probably hurts more to move your foot up and down.

For what its worth I just got a new set of Mares, identical to my previous, and had some ankle discomfort the first few dives, just as you describe, with both sets. Stopped after several dives. I blame it on my high arches.

My first thought, and easiest to fix, is that your fin strap might be just a little bit tighter on that side. Try swapping fins and see if your other foot is affected the same way.

Other possibilities are that the fin or your boot has a thicker spot in it that causing pressure on your foot. If possible, try a different boot and fin to see if your problem persists.

If you have no success with the above, then pursue a medical reason.
good thinking I will try that, thanks!

What is your predominant kick type. If it's flutter, the new find may be a bit stiffer than your old ones. Try mixing your kick styles up a bitwhile you get used to the fins.
I am just certified so I'm very new to all of the styles, my instructor said to use my legs as if they are scissors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom