Top dive spots -- worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill - I would seriously consider a liveaboard in Milne Bay. I did 5 trips over a 10 year period and if you want the full package ie coral, wrecks, macro, large pelagics, sharks - then I have found it hard to beat Milne Bay. PROVISO - the last trip I did was in 2003 and I did the trip down from Kavieng, it was good but I would rather be in Milne Bay.

Stayed at Tawali a couple of years ago and the diving is excellent but no comparison to a liveaboard. Currently having a love affair with Tulamben due to macro and $$$, fantastic diving at a good price.

BTW some American friends of mine in the early 00's chartered a boat and did a discovery trip out into the unknown off PNG. I didn't go due to the cost and still regret it today. They raved about the experience of diving in virgin waters and discovering new areas.

Why, if you liked Misool so much (as I did) pick a LOB? I am struggling mightily with this question...
The main reason for e is that Misool is still a large area and I hate commuting to dive sites. I don't want to spend 3-4 hours (or possibly more) a day in a loud bouncing speedboat going back and forth to dive sites when I could be getting a massage, having a nap, eating a nice meal, chatting with other guests, watching a movie, checking out my pictures, recharging batteries, etc. Even when I stayed at a resort in the Dampier Straits, I had the same issues. It would be fine if you only wanted to go to the handful of nearby dive sites but to make the Long flights worthwhile, I want to see all the great sites.

Was looking for info on liveaboards in PNG. I found MV Chertan and FeBrina.

Sad to say, I could not find posts from other divers about these as there are very very few posts in the Pacific Islands section at all, and none (that I could see) on the LOBs there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

- Bill

The LOB situation has changed significantly since 2003 when Ardy was last there - that was a time when Paradise Sport was operating in Milne Bay. It no longer operates in PNG at all.

Febrina operates further north for the most part, and only really does a few Milne Bay trips each year.

If you want to dive Milne Bay at the moment, the most reliable option seems to be Tawali resort. Although technically MV Chertan operates in Milne Bay, the information I've received is that they don't always meet minimum passenger numbers, which leads to the inevitable.

Greetings from Indonesia Bill,

Soon we'll be saying Selamat Datang Bill & Emily. You did not mention Komodo in your original "greater Bali" dive list, it's a magical area and easy to get to from Bali. Komodo offers manta dives, shark dives, beautiful hard and soft coral reefs plus fantastic critters and Sangeang has excellent muck diving.

Adelaar cruises offers 10 night round-trip Bali-Komodo-Bali dive trips; no flight hassles, over-luggage charges or no-fly days. With all the dives and land excursions offered between Bali & Komodo it's a great way to see the country. BTW, if you are photographer we are adding a camera area during dry dock, which will be finished early March.

Contact your favorite Dive Travel Agent or info@adelaar-cruises.com and ask for our Tradeshow specials, available for select dates throughout 2016.

Alternatively, if you have any questions about Bali I'm happy to help.

Selamat Jalan

Back
Top Bottom