Toothpaste etc to clean new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read several posts where you should do x, y, and z on a new mask. If you have never done it, should you back track and do it? I only ask because my daughters mask still fogs up, interestingly enough on only one side a whole bunch. For me, I just do a clear or leave water in to act as a wiper. I may be doing too much, but I don't keep track, just second nature.

Thoughts?

I use the toothpaste method, simply because i’m afraid I’ll melt my mask. (I know I probably won’t, but I’m not about to risk it :D). The downsides, it takes a fair amount of time (I did 3 applications), and you need to do it about once a year. The upside, my mask always smells minty fresh!:wink:

Erik

Toothpaste works, you may need to repeat it from time to time. Less so as the mask gets older.

You are removing the silcone residue on the inside of the lens/es that occurs after manufacture. Once removed, (yes, an abrasive toothpaste works well), it does not magically reappear. No further abrasive cleaning either from the ADA or a flamethrower is required. OTOH it won't hurt the mask and it may smell nice but silicone is no longer the issue.

I have sold hundreds of masks - none required a flamethrower or lighter. ABRASIVE toothpaste works well. I HAVE SEEN THE RESULTS OF SLOPPY BURNING. Customers had to purchase a new mask.

Colgate 2-in-1 Tartar Control / Whitening is the best for this. Scrub with undiluted toothpaste for at least two minutes.

Here is a list of what toothpaste to use and what to avoid. Higher RDA is best:

http://www.williamsonperio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Toothpaste-Abrasiveness-Ranked-by-RDA.pdf

I bring Magic Erasers for students that forget to scrub their mask. It seems to work OK, but I still prefer a good ole toothbrush and toothpaste or comet. Yes comet is abrasive, and no it is not harder than glass.

I would have to scrub my masks about once a year as a grime from thick anti fogs would build up in it. Now I use diluted baby shampoo as antifog, it works great and doesn’t build up. Also when you forget shampoo at the camp/dive site you have some on hand.

I flame mine. Clean with Dawn after diving. Apply some defog and leave it to dry until the next trip. I've never had a mask fog on me.

Interesting video from Mako. They do make an excellent mask, but I have to wonder what the mysterious “chemical” reaction between non-abrasive toothpaste and inert silicone is? Would anyone at @MAKO Spearguns like to explain?

Last edited:
I’m also worried about melting my mask - OOO and fire don’t mix well. :D So I went the way of toothpaste.

You shouldn’t have to scrub it again after you do it really well. I’ve been diving the same mask for 130 dives now and it is still great!

@tridacna has provided one of the correct answers, in that there is a silicone release agent on the mask glass at manufacture, which can be removed with mildly abrasive toothpaste (not gel type), or by the flame method, or some people even recommend leaving coke in the mask overnight (not tried that method) I flame a mask to get off the majority and then apply toothpaste. YMMV

In use, you will get a build up of body oils, which also cause fogging, so a mild detergent used on the mask and seals with warm water should remove those contaminants.

When cleaning it's normally the edges next to the seal which still have contaminants remaining. I use a soft old tooth brush to get into those more difficult areas (and to clean the tooth past off afterwards)

Also once cleaned and dry, I breath on the mask to see if any areas still fog.

Because I frequently dive, I re tooth paste my mask (or give it a really good clean rather than a rinse) 3 or 4 times a year)

For diving I use a thin smear of baby shampoo. I have found that if rinsed with fresh or drinking water the mask might sometimes fog a little on occasion, but if rinsed with sea water it doesn't.

I have NO idea why this is, but I generally roll in with the baby shampoo on my mask and then rinse at the surface.

I'm guessing that masks will be more susceptible to fogging in colder waters where you have a bigger temperature difference than in warmer climbs. But that's just a guess on my part

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom