Tooth Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCatgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Sorry, I realize there have been many questions relating to this topic before. However, I do not see one where an individual has asked if there would be an issue if one was to dive after a crown has fallen off the post and was not replaced prior to the dive. My dentist has indicated there are no holes in the gum so I should be ok, but just want to make sure. Should I be concerned?

I'm not a dentist, and I don't play one on TV, but from a medical standpoint, the missing crown is not now exposing tissue at significant risk for infection. You should be just fine if cold sensitivity is not an issue when water hits that tooth.
And from a pressure standpoint, there is no longer a potential trapped gas issue as there might be with a new crown.
Make sure when you get it replaced, that you let your dentist know of your concern for trapped bubbles that might pop the crown off if the bubbles filled with more gas molecules diffusing in at depth, and which then expand on ascent. My dentist took a little extra care with mine to make sure that it was glued in with no gaps.

Diving Doc

Sorry, I realize there have been many questions relating to this topic before. However, I do not see one where an individual has asked if there would be an issue if one was to dive after a crown has fallen off the post and was not replaced prior to the dive. My dentist has indicated there are no holes in the gum so I should be ok, but just want to make sure. Should I be concerned?

A little denture adhesive works to keep it in place until you can get back in and see the dentist (personal experience).

Best regards,
DDM

I have done many dives with similar issues and no resulting problems. As said above, as long as there are no cold sensitivity issues you should be fine.

If the crown " has fallen off the post" are we assuming the tooth has had root canal therapy? If so, and it was adequately performed, there should be no issues of concern. I used to play a dentist.....retired 10 years......
I play a Dentist on TV and in real life and this is the correct answer ^^^^^

You should be just fine if cold sensitivity is not an issue when water hits that tooth.

Hmmm... now this brings up a question in my mind. I have had some sensitivity issues with my teeth, and I never thought about the coldness of the water as you descend below snorkeling depth. In my case, it is not related to dental work. I am a bit buck toothed, and my two front teeth are cold sensitive (my dentist told me that it is because they get craze lines from being more exposed to stresses than straight teeth would be). Would using toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth be sufficient, or is there more I need to consider?

Try Sensodyne....no harm if it doesn't work....give it time and follow the instructions as there are several different types of sensodyne....Most every ones teeth get craze lines...I see severe craze lines in runners....extreme temperature differences from the outer portion if the enamel compared to the inner portion of the enamel......Enamel is one of the hardest substances in our body...which makes it also brittle

I have successfully used Sensodyne for similar issues in the past. It will not be the water that causes problems but the cool dry air from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom