tool dip (plasti dip) and the environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving with a guy on Monday who dipped tips of his gloves to yellow tool dip. Not only it makes the gloves last longer, but I was able to see his underwater signs easier (we had 10 feet viz).

I am really really worried about longer term environment impact. Anybody any suggestions/comments?

Seriously what? That he did it or that I think about doing it.

Quite a lot of people use it for weights.

100,000+ barrels of crude oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico and you're worried about Plasti Dip? if it really bothers you, you can find the MSDS here. When it's dried, it's about as toxic as a neoprene wetsuit.

Thank you for the link.

Yes I am worried. Every scuba diver should be worried about any and every material he/she uses during diving especially if it is something not designed for scuba diving. I have no idea if this thing peels after 10 dives, that's why I asked.

Thank you for the link.

Yes I am worried. Every scuba diver should be worried about any and every material he/she uses during diving especially if it is something not designed for scuba diving. I have no idea if this thing peels after 10 dives, that's why I asked.

Properly applied, it lasts quite a while. I use it on my fins and it does peel a bit where adhesion isn't optimal. As far as impact on the environment, I have a list of about 80,000 things I'd be more concerned about. If you're "Really worried" about it, you must be losing a lot of sleep over the BP blow out. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom