Too short? Wrong fit? Need socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last Sunday I switched over from my usual Oceanic Vyper fins (XL) to a set of Scubapro jet fins (XL) to do some mooring work in the bay. They are shorter in length than my vypers and I wanted to try them out especially with their spring straps. Anyway, by the end of the day I had developed a pretty good set of blisters on the tops of my toes, which I never got wearing my vypers. Working with the tides, there was a lot of finning required. I'm going back for more work this weekend and will use my vypers, but my question is do you think the blisters were due to the Jets being shorter than the vypers maybe making me having to work the fins more? Or maybe the fit was wrong and just rubbed me raw, although both sets of fins are XL? I use Deep SEE zippered boots with my 7mm farmer john Henderson suit, maybe they are not that compatible with the jets? How about wearing some socks or something underneath the boot? Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on this.

Sounds like they may be the wrong fit. Fins should hold the foot securely and have little or no movement when fining.
As a general guide your foot in your boot should extend past the back of the fin boot heel a couple of inches or so and the upper lip should line up with your instep. It should conform and hold the main bone structure of your foot. If it moves on your foot it could cause chaffing or foot cramps.

I think you would enjoy the jets if they fit well.

A pair of thin nylon dress socks (under the boots) can help a lot with those issues. i have never found the scuba pro foot pocket comfortable.

Thanks, I'll try that. Other than that, I liked the jets and the spring straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom