Too old to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 76, did a try dive last December and loved it. So got the OW book, and did my PADI OW at Easter with lots of help ( 1 to 1 ) from a female instructor. As I said to her , I can now start to learn to dive.

I hadn't dived for 20 years ...worrying that I might just be too old now--62. Chris

Chris, Actually you ARE too old for diving. Many things have changed in the dive world since you hung up your spurs. The equipment has become too complicated for you to manage. The old standard light-as-a-feather J-valve steel 65 has been replaced with the 60# HP130. Times 2. Computers have made an appearance. The scientists have determined that you WILL get DCS (Google it) if you don't strictly adhere to ultra-conservative algorithms (Google it). And you're probably clueless about "DIR," eco-diving and CCR's. (Google them) BUT, if you insist, there's a course offered by PADI called Geriatric Diver. Without this badge you will not be able to dive on public charters or get refills. Think about it.

Geriatric Diver. ?Another certification from Put Another Dollar In? I'm 76 and just passed 110 dives with another trip to Bonaire scheduled in June. Age is no limit. You can stay in reasonable shape if some effort is expended to attain the goal.

Hey Maqsix Welcome back!!
A lot of folks gave good advice I would consider getting in shape for diving just by swimming. Meaning swimming being your means of physical fittness. Unlike a lot of means of fittness swimming will give you the most excersie with the least amount of damage to your body. But you have to know how to swim right and it may be good idea to have some one train you for a while. Being a strong swimmer will add to your confidence in the water. By the way who said you have to always go down to 25 meter dive? I enjoy shallow diving very much you can be underwater for over an hour! For me diving is very relaxing and it's my "connection" to nature.
Take care and enjoy!
Rauven Schneider

PADI stands for Poor And Destitute Instructors.

They are starting the Geriatric Cert to help them with an economic stimulus package.:wink::D

Love this thread. I took about 35 years off from diving and got re-certified last June. We taught ourselves in Spain in 1970. Anyway, was feeling sorry for you until the last line. About lost my coffee on my keyboard. I'm 61 and I just got back from a week in Roatan, 3 dives a day plus night dives. No problems and had a ball. Doing Key West and Bonaire in June. Who says I have to grow up?

Glad you came back to diving too.
Dave

I have dived with several fellows that were in there 60's.
One particular fellow, he smoked like a chimney and was a Vietnam vet (and in the SAS).
When we came back up, he had a good 30-40bar more air then me as well as having slightly longer Bottom time and max depth readings!

After that, I pulled my head in a bit and starting running every day so this fellow wouldn't embarass me like that again!

I just got back from Cancun the 24th April, good timing considering the CDC warnings, etc. Thankfully I have felt fine. I dived with Fred of Dive Cancun, and Clemente the other dive master. They were wonderful and since there were only 3-4 of us each dive, including the dm, I had a great, relaxing time. The very first dive I saw : big turtle; eels; nurse shark;loads and loads of fish of all colors; a cayman on the shore out to the dive site; barracudas; and loads more. The two divers I dived with were both over 40, and fun. I needed help back up on the boat each time, as I have peripheral neuropathy and couldn't feel the ladder; other than that, things went great.
Thank you all for your support. I realize age doesn't have much to do with it, only attitude. Fortunately I didn't get hung up on any lane markers or I might have a different opinion!

Thanks, I used to be a long distance swimmer but I admit I have fallen down on the job in recent years. I'm slim now and trying to get in better physical shape. Mentally i guess there's no hope! On this latest trip to Cancun one of the dives was to 81 feet. I really am happiest at 40-50 feet but I had to go along with the group.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That made my day,thanks.
I already was looking for the biography of Leni Riefenstahl.:D

Heck I'll put it up any way.Leni Riefenstahl: BIOGRAPHY

Nope your not to old but beware of those lines.Guess you didn't bring that 20+year old knife with you.
rambo_mes.jpg
:rofl3:
I just read the biography of Leni. Thanks. What a fabulous person and role model!

Back
Top Bottom