Too much treatment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kraken

Registered
Reaction score
I have a general question, is it possible to be over-treated in a hyperbaric chamber? Assuming of course you manage your O2 exposure.

Here is the source of this question. About 8 months ago I suffered a pretty serious hit (type II) and the treating doctor switched the plan from a table 6 to table 5 (shorter) after I showed improvement within the first 15 minutes. Upon my return to the states I met with another Dr. to get a clearance for diving. During routine tests it was obvious I still has some minor lingering problems. Back into the chamber for a table 6, coming out feeling fresh and new. Conversations with every hyperbaric doc lead me to believe that any hit should always be treated with a minimum table 6.

comments?

Hello kraken:

It is possible to get too much treatment if the treatment is with AIR. This is virtually never done today; it was replaced with the OXYGEN tables several decades ago.

Oxygen is metabolized, not stored, and will not accumulate in your body. Lung damage is possible but that is a different problem and must be specifically addressed.

Generally speaking, the use of Table V has been replaced by Table VI. There were simply too many treatment failures (DCS reoccurrences) with V.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Great, that is what I expected. Hope to never go through that again (fear of small spaces+chamber = not fun)

Back
Top Bottom