Too Large Or Too Small Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldoh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Today I was trying on closed heel fins for scuba and found to my dismay that I am in between sizes. One set is so tight it's like a second skin. No space between the pocket and my foot anywhere. On top was tightest, my foot hairs got stretched and I needed to pull up the top a bit to relieve pressure. My toes are essentially at the end. The pocket is a little open and my toe is right at the end. It is however not uncomfortable it's like wearing lycra, you feel the pressure but it's kinda okay. No rubbing could occur because they were not moving. They were not challenging to take off though, very tight yes but it wasn't too bad. Alternatively the next size up has a few mm of space all around. I can fit my whole finger between heel and pocket and it rocks, but it doesn't seem loose enough to fall off like when I tried arching my foot. That said when I tried a racing turn in that size one did fall off. But in the low impact world of scuba. Maybe that is better. I tried adding a diving sock but it was so smooth it immediately slipped off and was far worse than not having a sock. Which do I buy?

The smaller fin. If they are snug, you will get the best energy transfer. They can be a little tight top to bottom and the toes can stick out - all that is ok. If the pocket crushes your foot side to side, you will get cramps and that is a intolerable.

A full foot fin should be wet first before putting on. A lycra sock on the tighter fin will save your feet hair. I sometimes squirt some armour all inside the pocket. Very slippery and easy to get the fin on. I prefer barefoot if i can get away with it.

Neither, buy booties and open healed fins. Too tight fins can cause cramps.

Smaller sounds like the right size but unless you plan on always diving off boats, as @clownfishsydney said: you'll likely want booties and open heel fins to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom