Tonga - Oh No - So worried for that region- people, whales and the environment- Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishatude

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Saw the really scary "before" and "after" photos of Tonga hit with the volcanic eruption. My hubby and I were unfortunate to be in HI when the most recent volcano sent ash everywhere- and covered the island in "VOG". Three weeks later when we were there, it was still spewing ash, and although we were told the chances were low- we spent 3 nights out by the hotel waiting for Mantas = that never showed. This was hmmmmm 2018 I think. I believe it was MONTHS later that they finally came back, after the volcano show.

Any thoughts or predictions as to the impact this will have on the whales? Does all that ash effect water quality- like it does air quality? Anyone know? We were set for a fall trip to Tonga- a dream of mine, but now not concerned about trip- but the status of the island, it's people and the whales/ocean. Anyone have any ideas?

Any thoughts or predictions as to the impact this will have on the whales? ….and the whales/ocean. Anyone have any ideas?
We view the world through myopic lenses. We humans only live for a mere blip in the timeline, but we are very self aware and self centered.

Volcanoes have erupted previously, the whales seem to have survived.

The noting of not seeing mantas on a given day in Hawaii shows us humans thinking in very limited perspectives.

To put it in a diving story….I’ve been on dives in a Tropical storm pouring rain off of Tobago in the root-beer brown tint of the Orinoco River and had a spectacular week of diving with Mantas. I read a report of that week from another diver: The weather in Tobago is rainy and the viz sucked, nothing too see.

Perspective. We humans suffer from myopic near-sightedness. This too shall pass. If your upcoming trip is dependent upon someone’s prognostication of the unknowable? Don’t go. Are we searching for assurances? As in: Will I feel safe in Quito? I can not know if or what makes you feel safe.

An earthquake shook the reefs of Roatan 2005 or so- huge slabs of reef wall structure sheathed off into the abyss. Wailing, loud cries from the internet of Roatan‘s demise as a dive destination! But in reality? It‘s recovery began before the water cleared. For the aware diver, it became an attraction, for everyone else…they never noticed, forgot about it, moved on to the next big thing to fret over.

Where we once worried about Malaria, now we can fixate on Covid. We, as a species, enjoy the anxiety. Me? Let’s go dive in Tonga and see what’s what!

Malaria and tb still top killers of humans, just not in high income countries.

@Doc

She SPECIFICALLY stated she was no longer worried about her diving but the locals. You come off as if she is wrong and you are right. Muuuch sarcasm in your post. That seems an odd tone to take when she is worried about others. The very attitude you accuse her of you replied to her post with.

This is this persons SECOND post ever on scuba board. Maybe their last after your rant.

@Doc

She SPECIFICALLY stated she was no longer worried about her diving but the locals. You come off as if she is wrong and you are right. Muuuch sarcasm in your post. That seems an odd tone to take when she is worried about others. The very attitude you accuse her of you replied to her post with.

This is this persons SECOND post ever on scuba board. Maybe their last after your rant.
The OP was just chumming. www.fishatude.com ScubaBoard, for some, is free advertising,

Gotta get that total post count up. Offering ‘free’ trips to the Red Sea and all.

Somehow I think Laura has been down Tampa’s mean streets of internet promotion before, “Oceans of” times.

connect the dots

Funny - so because my hubby and I take photos while diving - and have a business - I can’t ask about the effect of a volcano and ash- or the well being after a Tsunami on a region?? - or the ocean. Hey I was just curious. Geez - Ya’ll hardcore.

Funny - so because my hubby and I take photos while diving - and have a business - I can’t ask about the effect of a volcano and ash- or the well being after a Tsunami on a region?? - or the ocean. Hey I was just curious. Geez - Ya’ll hardcore.

Back
Top Bottom