Tonga in August on Naia: What to do after the trip for 3 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm going to Tonga on Nai'a in August to see the humpbacks, yay!!! Because of the way the flights are, I have three days after the trip before my "Travel home" day. There seem to be two good choices of what to do those three days:

1. Go to the surf resort out at the end of the main island (Ha'atafu Beach Resort) and chill. I like chilling, although I don't surf. The beach looks kinda pretty but not mind-blowing. But it's all inclusive, gonna be relaxing, rated #1 on Trip Advisor.

or

2. Stay in town (Nuku'alofa) on the main island, and to stuff like (a) cultural tours, (b) shop, (c) take day trips on the ferry to nearby beach islands, (d) rent a car or bike and explore.

Because of the ferry schedule and my flight time, staying on one of the other nearby beach-y islands doesn't really work. I am aware that Tongatapu isn't known for its beaches.

Here's my main question for y'all:

Question: Is the island scenery (white beaches with blue water) up in the Ha'apai Group, where the 12 day liveaboard is going, a lot lot lot better than the surfing beach resort out at the west end of the main (Tongatapu) island? If the little island beaches out in the Ha'apai Group are really a whole lot better than the beach at that surf resort, then I'm probably going to be disappointed or let down, and should do the "town" type stuff instead. However if it's equivalent, the relaxation thing might be better. I'm not super huge on cultural tours; I've got a very short attention span for dances, singing, ruins, churches, museums, that sort of thing. I am also going to have one full day in town before the trip, but it's a Sunday, so I think I won't be able to get much shopping or anything in (I hear everything closes on Sunday there?).

So which should I do?
Thanks!

I stayed a full day in Nuku'alofa a few years ago after seeing the whales in Vava'u, and I didn't really find a ton of stuff to do/see in/around town. A few hours tour of half the island with a taxi driver/guide pointing out some nifty things (I thought the blowholes were really cool), and a few hours wandering around town were interesting, as was going to a Tongan feast (basically like a luau), but 3 (or 4) full days might be pushing it.

Sorry, didn't visit Ha'apai, or the far western end of Tongatapu - just wanted to chime in about staying in town.

Also, for your Sunday, it's worthwhile to at least pass by a church - the singing harmony of the Tongans is quite pleasant. Shops and restaurants in Vava'u were closed Sundays, but foreign owned/run ones were still open; not sure if it's the same in Nuku'alofa.

Hey Ha'apai is like Paradise..you will absolutely love it...I like all Tonga but town is just town...the surf beach resort is only good if you surf.....have a look at our web site.. www.bluetreasure.me you will see we have a camp/ BLUE BASE set up on Nomuka Iki by then....if you can get there???..for a few days, come visit...not sure what the ferry time table is back to Nuku Alofa though??..but you may be lucky...only three days?? not sure what we will be doing..it will cost $60 a day for food and tent and air, but you may be lucky and we may be able to show you a 16th centuary wreck!!..we are not a holiday camp but just thought if you are passing by??

Enjoy Tonga....it is awsome!!..good luck..

Sadly Tongatapu is not a great place to spend much time, you will be REALLY bored after the first 6 hours. Forget about Sunday, when I was there last two trips even the radio station (such as it was) was off the air. Hear they have cable in the hotels now, which they don't turn off on Sundays.

The Ha'apai and Va'vau groups are really the nicest places in the Kingdom, you likely would not visit Tongatapu at all if the airport wasn't located there.

There are a few island "resorts" just off shore from Tongatapu, they pick you up at the town dock for a short ride to some decent beaches and snorkeling, the diving isn't much with lots of dead coral, so if you've already cleaned and packed your gear it may not be worth unpacking.

Since everything is shut down and nothing fun (outside of bed) is allowed on Sundays, even fishing, many tourists & expats head to the offshore hotels for the day, where foreigners are allowed to drink and play and have fun, without offending the deeply religious Tongans. Typically a pick-up volleyball game can usually be had along with lots of cold beer and a beach barbecue, a few rental hobies or sunfish may be available. Try the Royal Sunset or the Pangaimotu, I've stayed at the Sunset for a few days, and it is (IMHO) vastly superior to staying in Tongatapu, bit longer boat ride than to the Pangaimotu which was the "place" for Sunday day-trip users.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom