Tokina 10-17mm port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Kazma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Canon 30D and Ikelite housing and I only use 2 lenses. Either my Tokina 10-17mm fisheye or my Canon 60mm macro.

My current port fits both lenses but at 10-11mm it shows in the corners of the images.

My question is, which port (and port body) should I use for the Tokina lens? Would this also work for the macro lens?

I'm don't know which port you are currently using with the Tokina 10-17mm lens, but it would be best to go with the recommendations from our website port chart: Canon SLR Port Chart

Tokina 10-17mm lens = 8" dome #5510.45 + Port Body #5510.11

Canon 60mm macro lens = standard flat port #5502

Light refraction will magnify the image underwater about 30% when shooting through a flat port. This is great for macro, but bad for wide angle. Conversely, the dome will correct the light refraction underwater thereby allowing wide angle lenses to take advantage of their wide angle settings.
So to summarize, a dedicated dome port for wide angle lenses and a dedicated flat port for macro lenses is the way to go underwater.

Regards,

I'm don't know which port you are currently using with the Tokina 10-17mm lens, but it would be best to go with the recommendations from our website port chart: Canon SLR Port Chart

Tokina 10-17mm lens = 8" dome #5510.45 + Port Body #5510.11

Canon 60mm macro lens = standard flat port #5502

Light refraction will magnify the image underwater about 30% when shooting through a flat port. This is great for macro, but bad for wide angle. Conversely, the dome will correct the light refraction underwater thereby allowing wide angle lenses to take advantage of their wide angle settings.
So to summarize, a dedicated dome port for wide angle lenses and a dedicated flat port for macro lenses is the way to go underwater.

Regards,

What would the 8" dome do with the 6omm macro?

the 8" dome with extrawide body works perfectly with the Tokina 10-17.
you need to be careful to avoid flare though at 10 mm.

the same port does work also with the canon 60 mm macro at close distances but the lens will not focus beyond a few meters, not in autofocus anyway. you can use the zoom ring and gear for manual focus. the 8 " dome is difficult to hande for closeup macro shots, so i really cannot recommend it. the dome easily pics up flare from the strobes.

the ikelite recommended flat port for the 60mm macro works well and is so much easier to handle being so much smaller. the flat port also doesn't pick up flare so easily, although i wished i had a lens shade to the port.

in any close up shots the big 8" dome is always in a risk of getting scratched.

Which 6" port would work best with the Tokina 10-17?

The #5503 or the #5503.51? I think the super-wide #5503.15 is too shallow, correct?

Thanks!
Zig

Back
Top Bottom