Tokina 10-17 confusion- help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entacmaea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I have a canon t4i and am looking to get a dome port and a tokina 10-17 for wide angle work. There are apparently 2 types of tokina 10-17 lenses for the canon mount, one DX with a hood which works only on cropped sensor camera's like the t4i, and the newer type II NH lens, with no hood and is compatible with cropped and full frame cameras. Question is, is there any disadvantage of buying the NH lens in case I upgrade to a full frame camera in the future? Will the NH lens compatible with full frame and cropped frame be less ideal than just buying the DX version made specifically for cropped sensors?

Thanks for the help!

Best, Peter

Wet Pixel just had an article on the Tokina 10-17 lens. I believe the old one will shoot fine with full frame cameras from 15-17 mm. It is needs a bit of higher F stop to get sharp in the corners (F8 or so). If you are seriously thinking of going full frame, you may want to get the newer version.

Thanks Pat- I think I found the article announcing the NH version- so the only real difference in the lens is that the NH version has no hood (and has a new coating)?

It is the exact same lens as the old one except without the hood (hence the NH or No Hood designation). Once the hood is off (and there are hacks to take off the hood on the old ones) the vignetting on FF is a bit less so you get a bigger field of view with the new one on FF. That being said, I don't understand why the lens with NO hood costs more than the exact same one with the hood.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom