Today's McMicking Point (Victoria) close-up photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a lot of cool things to find in a single dive! Looks like a very nice site -- What's the profile like?

Here's the main report for this site: mcmickingpoint
It's basically a steep rocky slope with some small walls that bottoms out at around 35-50 feet deep. At the base of the rocky area there is a current-swept plain of small rocks/sand/gravel with quite a few feather duster worms. The top of the rocky area is covered with stalked kelp. There is usually current, but if you time it for "slack" (according to the current atlas) you can usually swim against it. I've always wanted to try swimming out over the flat area at the base of the reef to see if there is anything interesting popping up out there, but whenever I come here, there is too much current and I chicken out before I get out very far. There aren't as many fish here as at the "sewer pipe reef" in Enterprise Channel (mcneillbay), but it's still a nice dive for invertebrates.

It looks like a Tanner Crab but the ones I have seen are always brown. My Whelks To Whales says they are pink after a molt so maybe that's it. Nice colors.

It looks like a Tanner Crab but the ones I have seen are always brown. My Whelks To Whales says they are pink after a molt so maybe that's it. Nice colors.
I don't think it's a tanner crab. I see them around a fair bit, but never in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The red crab does have a similar build to the tanner crab though. Maybe they're in the same genus or family or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom