Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingblueberry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello to you all

I am planning a road trip / diving trip this summer (whenever it'll be possible in the pandemic context) and Tobermory is at the top of my list. I’ll be travelling alone and my schedule is totally open. I have two questions :

- Organised group seems to be the norm (from what I can hear) and rarely hear about someone going there alone. How easy would it be for me if I am on my own (to join a group) ?

- I would be nice to hit two birds with one stone and continue my training while I’m there. I was thinking about a course to improve my skills and technique, the wreck training course or maybe ITT. I don’t know much about to proceed, though.

Any tips or advice are welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: No idea what the COVID Pandemic will do to things...

These guys may steer you some: @Stoo @abnfrog .....

If you aren't going as a group, there are walk-on opportunities with the charters. You just don't get to pick the sites.

Booking a place to stay is typically done almost a year ahead of time as things fill in fast (hotels, motels, and private houses).

Have fun! It is a great place to experience.

Disclaimer: No idea what the COVID Pandemic will do to things...

These guys may steer you some: @Stoo @abnfrog .....

If you aren't going as a group, there are walk-on opportunities with the charters. You just don't get to pick the sites.

Booking a place to stay is typically done almost a year ahead of time as things fill in fast (hotels, motels, and private houses).

Have fun! It is a great place to experience.

Thanks very much for the info @rhwestfall. That's very helpful.

A year in advance !!! :-O Let's pray it is different this year. Mind you, my schedule is totally open which leaves me some leeway, so I'll look into it right now...

I've only heard nice things about Toby so I'm dying to go. And if I could do the wreck course while there, that'd be awesome.

Thanks again.

Divers Den also offers PADI courses in Tobermory. Not sure exactly what they offer but you can certainly do the padi wreck course there. As for ITT, I’d give them a call or go see @abnfrog

As for divers den, you can book as a single walk on. They will buddy you up in the boat. No need to go as a group. That’s what I did last time and had a wonderful time!

That's awesome.

I'll give them a call and get more info. It'll be an exciting time if I can do what I am planning to do. Fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot @racanichou !

Also if you don’t book on a weekend, chances are you won’t need to reserve a hotel room a year in advance. Last year I booked at the end of July and was there on a Tuesday 2 weeks later. No issues. But it’s always prudent to plan ahead :wink:

Back
Top Bottom