Tobermory May-June diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciceron

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are planning to visit Tobermory Ontario and dive their wrecks. At least 4 days of diving as I understand Divers Den would go out during the week with a minimum of 2 divers. Our initial plan is first week of June but also considering mid-May. Would anybody comment on the dive conditions at that time of the year, I understand that the water is very cold but the vis is up to 200ft early in the season. But what is early in the season, is it April, May or late June? And the 200ft visibility, is it once every 100 years or every Springs?
Many thanks

Ciceron

Ciceron, I would not be to optimistic about 200ft :) But 100ft is realistic. Early in the season that we usually go is in May, the water is in 37-39F if my memory serves me well but the boats are also empty so you have a lot of space. It's great time of the year to dive. Take a warm jacket and a hat to keep yourself warm during surface interval. And that's even for dry suit diving. Winds can be cold. I hope you dive dry as diving wet is craziness and absolutely no go :) I think all until June is early season. Later the shops start booking the charters and they get fairly busy.

I have dove up there many times. Grew up in Owen Sound. One time, ice was in the water in May! Even late summer the water is always cold at depth. The visibility can be really good though! I won't dive a wet suit there anymore or anywhere in Canada anymore - too cold when trying to do multiple dives. Mt feet would be so numb it would be hard to stand up and walk! And yes - bring a parka for after the dive! The weather changes quickly too - calm when going under, waves and wind when surfacing, fog too. We would often set up a big tent on the shore to get into when we surfaced. Then, like a snake, lay in the sun (if it was out) to try and warm up. I remember being super hungry too all the time - I guess I was burning so many calories keeping warm.

Good luck.

Are you driving up through Owen Sound?

MT

Thank you very much Elan and Modustollen, very useful informations. Yes we will definitely dive dry. And looks like any run time should be determined by the heat loss rate, not the volume of gas in the tank, as we are planning to tec the Forest City. And indeed Owen Sound is in the "flight plan".

elan: your message box is full.... trying to reach you.

Back
Top Bottom