Tobermory Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a little info and was wondering if anyone had more info on a dive fatality in Tobermory on Aug 28.

I think it was on the Arabia, near Flowerpot Island?
Male 53yrs old. 110'.

someone confirm with more details please.

I am curious as to this story. The Arabia has claimed the lives of a few divers in it's history. I believe that this is also part of the attraction for diving this wreck in a morbid way. I have not been on it in several years. What is she looking like now?

Dove the Arabia last summer it, is pretty well smashed. Not much of it even resembles a ship anymore. That wreck has something spooky about it. Not that tough of a dive, but has had a lot of accidcents on it. I've heard several stories of people getting freaked out on the wreck and having to bail. Actually happend to a guy I was diving with there last year. Hate to hear it might have claimed another.

There was a fatality on August 28, 2004 on the Arabia. The diver was 53 years old and at the cement block at the time of the incident. The autospy will be performed Monday. It appears he had a heart attack. Unfortuantely, there was nothing anyone could have done differently. Everyone involved followed their training and worked as a team. The gentleman was part of the Michigan Seasnoopers Dive Club and he will be greatly missed.

scubapolly:
Dove the Arabia last summer it, is pretty well smashed. Not much of it even resembles a ship anymore. That wreck has something spooky about it. Not that tough of a dive, but has had a lot of accidcents on it. I've heard several stories of people getting freaked out on the wreck and having to bail. Actually happend to a guy I was diving with there last year. Hate to hear it might have claimed another.
I did a couple of dives on her in early July. The stern is pretty well done, but as usual the bow is pretty intact and that is the best part of the wreck in any case. The deadeyes, railing, and bowsprit are still pretty as ever.

As to the dive being a little spooky, we had two divers bail on that wreck during our trip, but neither had any issues other than free-flows and the key was that they didn't panic. Part of the issue may be the Arabia's reputation (as a widow making dive) spooking people into problems that becomes serious. Then, they forget their training. But she is a dive to be respected due to the combination of spooky vis., likelihood of low light, and the certainty of extremely cold water. But, she is not a dive to approached by "a nervous person".

To speculate without more information is pretty pointless. If it was a heart condition (as suggested), then it could have happened in a car just as well as on the Arabia.

Sorry to hear that, best to his family. The Waome also has a mystery about her as well up in her dark waters

Damn....that's a new one for dive fatalities....Usually it takes a long time (on the order of at least an hour (that's an educated guess- I mean it could be longer, but it's not gonna be like a BOOM you're dead deal) to bleed out from something like that....I mean you would think he would know something was wrong. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still a shame he died and my condolences go to the family and his friends.

-Steve

My sincere condolences. I will keep the family and friends in my prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom