Tobago in april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saramanouch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to Tobago in April (16-23), and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. From the research that I have done, Speyside seems to offer better dive sites, but it's quite isolated, and pricier in terms of accomodations.

Is Speyside really that much better than Crown Point?

I was thinking about splitting my time in both places, but I'm going solo, and I don't really want to pay $80 a night for lodging, nor be completely isolated and bored at night!

As of now, I'm considering staying at Candles in the wind in Crown point, and diving with Extra Divers ($370 for 10 day dive package), and pay an extra $25 for the trip to Speyside, which they apparently run twice a week.

Any input/feedback from anyone?

Ingrid

I dived with Extra Divers at both Crown Point and Speyside, and although the diving at Crown Point is OK it is nowhere near as good as at Speyside!! Try to dive "London Bridge" if the conditions are good enough, but heh all the sites are pretty good!!!

You are correct in the fact that the evenings are a bit boring in Speyside, but you will usually find a some fellow divers to drink a few beers with, and anyway it's not that much better in Crown Point.

If I was you I would spend most of your time in Speyside (the Manta Lodge is not to expensive) and then stay a couple of days in Crown Point at the end on your vacation.

Thank you very much for all this info, nivek.

Or you can stay in Charlotteville where there is certainly more going on in the evenings but still pretty quiet. Most of the dive shops have staff staying in Charlotteville and often they can give you a lift over to Speyside which is about 10 minutes away. There is a bus as well you can take but not sure how frequent it is.

Have a look at this place which is $50 a night off season.
Apartment Accommodation in Charlotteville, Tobago - Top River Pearl

Or these guys
Charlotteville, Tobago beachfront holiday apartments at ManOWar Bay

As others have said the diving in Crown Point is unremarkable whereas in Speyside it is some of the best in the Caribbean. I'm sure if you contacted Extra Divers in Speyside they could arrange transport for you from Charlotteville to their shop.

A great big ole trip report on Tobago would be great.

All we seem to get are drips and drabs of what looks like a hard place to get to but worth the trouble.

It you are serious about diving, visit Speyside. If your are kinda serious about diving and want the evening nightlife, stay in Crown Pointe. Roatan Man has posted many times on the subject of Tobago. See his post : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/331415-tobago.html Or many other of his. He describes the North End as "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" of current diving. Whe we visited we stayed at the Blue Waters Inn Blue Waters Inn Tobago and did our diving with Aqua Marine Dive. There are some guest houses around if you want cheaper lodging. We felt is was nice to have a breakfast at the hotel, come back for lunch at the bar and then head to Speyside or Charlottesville for dinner.

My personal opinion: The drift diving was fantastic and I couldn't imagine traveling that far and not staying in Speyside. Please be sure and post your report when you return

Last edited:
I also am planning a trip there in Jan/Feb 2012. Any additional feedback/info trip reports are greatly appreciated.
Plan is to split up our time between Speyside and somewhere near Mt Irvine/ Grafton Beach area. Any comments on the inn and boat at Manta Lodge?
Likely hood of Mantas during my time frame?
Truth to the "full moon"?
Hammerheads?
thanks

Ingrid,
I’m looking for a dive partner and would be willing to travel anywhere to met up.
When we dove last in Egypt is was one of the most memorable dives I’ve had. Let’s do it again!
Brian

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Tobago in April (16-23), and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. From the research that I have done, Speyside seems to offer better dive sites, but it's quite isolated, and pricier in terms of accomodations.

Is Speyside really that much better than Crown Point?

I was thinking about splitting my time in both places, but I'm going solo, and I don't really want to pay $80 a night for lodging, nor be completely isolated and bored at night!

As of now, I'm considering staying at Candles in the wind in Crown point, and diving with Extra Divers ($370 for 10 day dive package), and pay an extra $25 for the trip to Speyside, which they apparently run twice a week.

Any input/feedback from anyone?

Ingrid

please post a trip report when you're back!

I'm interested in making a trip down there in the coming months

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom