Tobago Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm interested in going to Tobago now that our local carrier, Westjet, has initiated direct flights. Anyone with direct experience who can provide advice re where to stay, dive and how the diving is there overall? I have not seen much about Tobago on this board.

I'm used to diving GC, LC, Bonaire, Utila and Coz, so wondering how Tobago would stack up in terms of marine life and coral health.

I've only dived Trinidad, Tobago and Bonaire...

Tobago is great imo...

the coral may not be as healthy as Bonaire, and dont expect the same excellent water clarity (although sometimes it can get like that for the most part it isnt), marine life in Tobago is more interesting to me as i see more a variety of large and small animals... besides the typical reef fish you have the lobsters, nurse sharks, large turtles etc... those i didn't see in Bon. Tobago also has plenty drift diving which i enjoy alot...

where you stay depends on which side of the island you would be diving more... you have Speyside and you have the Caribbean sea side... Speyside is almost 100% drift diving is lots of fun if you're into drift diving... the Caribbean side can be more relaxed and is closer to the city/towns/airports etc if you would rather be close...

for Speyside you can check Blue Waters Inn for stay and diving...

for Caribbean side i highly recommend Undersea Tobago for diving... I usually stay by family when i'm on that side so i can't give any first hand recommendations for places to stay

hope you eventually make it down to Tobago

Thanks for the help

Been to Bonaire and Tobago, Undersea was great to work with. Almost all diving is boat diving on Tobago. You will dive more for less on Bonaire.

That said Speyside has more dramatic dives with current waves but little very going on out that far. "In town" there are more places to eat and go out. We stayed at Birdies Nest a wonderful little private place with a 3 unit condo, just outside of town. Prince was a great host.

Tobago: The definitive Tobago tourist and holiday guide

Also check out Marlon he was our dive guide with Undersea but also has his own boat and dive service.

I will say better vis and sea life on Bonaire but the beaches and other actives are better on Tobago with less bugs, more a tropical rain forest, than a dry climate cactus like one on Bonaire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I go for the diving and don't give a hoot if there are other activities or not, so you have helped me with decision making.

Back
Top Bottom