to upgrade an 109 to BA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I did looked in old threads about what to do to upgrade a Scubapro 109 to a balanced model but I am still a bit confused:(
Do I need to change all the parts inside the fixed barrel or just the poppet or whatever?
And where can I find these parts?

Upgrading a 109 to a 156 involves swapping out the existing spring, spring pad and poppet for a different spring, balance chamber and poppet. It may also require the swap out of the lever - you just never know.....

Kits (depending on stock) may be available through Vintage Double Hose, and @buddhasummer (pandemic seems to have caused issues in the supply chain).

Upgrading a 109 to a 156 involves swapping out the existing spring, spring pad and poppet for a different spring, balance chamber and poppet. It may also require the swap out of the lever - you just never know.....

Kits (depending on stock) may be available through Vintage Double Hose, and @buddhasummer (pandemic seems to have caused issues in the supply chain).

I have those parts on hand but unless you live in Canada I can not currently get anything out. Poo.

What about Japan -> Canada -> US? Yeah, costs escalate, but those in need have little choices.... possibly could seek out a middle man...

I just got an order for some "unique" AV cables cancelled because they can't ship to me..... not happy!

Hi
I did looked in old threads about what to do to upgrade a Scubapro 109 to a balanced model but I am still a bit confused:(
Do I need to change all the parts inside the fixed barrel or just the poppet or whatever?
And where can I find these parts?
Just food for thought; if you have it on a balanced 1st stage, there is little benefit to the BA conversion. Primary benefit of balancing a second stage is to maintain more consistent cracking effort across varying IP (not really needed on a balanced first providing stable IP across the tank pressure range), and to reduce setting in the soft seat (and a duro poppet soft seat is a simple puck, cost a dollar to buy or less to make).

Respectfully,

James

the most recent "upgrade kit" that will do this is the G200 -> G200b. That was a long time ago, but you might find one somewhere.

folks like VDH and @buddhasummer are putting together individual parts to achieve this.

What about Japan -> Canada -> US? Yeah, costs escalate, but those in need have little choices.... possibly could seek out a middle man...

I just got an order for some "unique" AV cables cancelled because they can't ship to me..... not happy!

I've put that idea out a couple of times but no bites. I've something cooking to get all previous orders out shortly but am not taking anymore orders this year unless it's going to Canada. Japan Post, what are you doing, (bang head)

I've put that idea out a couple of times but no bites. I've something cooking to get all previous orders out shortly but am not taking anymore orders this year unless it's going to Canada. Japan Post, what are you doing, (bang head)
Small bits like this could be slipped into a package already slater for travel.

I just upgraded my old 109 to use a Duro poppet. Upgrading to a balanced system seemed unnecessarily complex and expensive when using a balanced first stage. The standard 109 is a masterpiece of simplicity and function.

Thanks to all of you for the comments.
I am aware about the sufficiency of one balanced part, be first or second but it is good to reiterate this for people who think they need the last "top of the range" model.
The upgrade is more like a discovery exercise and to be in touch with @buddhasummer again:):)

Back
Top Bottom